Does the Note 5 come with the Stagefright patch already installed?

A

AC Question

Does the Galaxy Note 5 come with the Stagefright patch pre-installed?

Anon Adderlan

May 21, 2015
Visit site
No. Or rather it's still vulnerable (at least to CVE-2015-3864) if it does.

stagefrightened note 5.png

Now it's storytime.

I ran the Zimperium Stagefright Detector (all vulnerable, same results as above), as well as the Check Point Certifi-Gate scanner (all vulnerable) and Total Recall Call Recorder (all recorded successfully) on the Note 5 at three different carriers on Long Island. The only difference was the customer experience.

AT&T had no oversight. Absolutely nobody attempted to interact with me, or seemed to notice me at all, which in this case was a good thing. But that also means someone could have gotten away with all kinds of nefarious things. Seriously, infecting these phones with malware would have been way to easy.

Verizon did things the right way (mostly). While one rep got concerned when I tested Total Recall, I was otherwise able to request network access and run the security scanners in front of another rep without trouble. That's the way it should be. You should be able to test the device in store before purchase (that's the whole point to having a working demo), and reps should be able to make sure you're not doing something nefarious. On the other hand I'm not sure how aware they were of what I was doing.

T-Mobile (my carrier) was equal parts difficult and incompetent. Unlike the other two carriers, they didn't even have an account set up on the device, so I had to use my own to access the Play Store. They then told me I could not install any apps on the device (which obviously I ignored) not because it would compromise security, but because a Samsung rep had set it up a certain way. They would not disclose who this Samsung rep was or how I could contact them, and when I called Samsung about it they literally told me "I think that's something they just made up".

After I finished I went to wait in my car. I was on the phone with T-Mobile when a rep from the store came out and requested I come back in and explain what I did because they were unable to hardware reset the device.

Hardware. Reset.

I laughed and told them if apps can disable hardware reset they have bigger problems than non-working demo software. They didn't seem to share my amusement, and accused me of destroying their device. Again, if those three apps can 'destroy' your device, you have bigger problems than me. Almost recorded the whole incident on my phone, but decided I didn't want to contribute more stress. I regretted that decision almost immediately when another rep who knew what they were doing got it to reset, but then said it still wasn't resetting 'properly', and couldn't explain further.

Seriously, I've NEVER had a good in-store experience with T-Mobile, but they somehow managed to top themselves here.

#TechAngry

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn