Galaxy s5 WiFi issue

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi I appear to have a problem with my Galaxy S5's WiFi connection
So in Saturday August 15, we had a pool party. I decided to record a video on putting it underwater for a few seconds.I put it away and it's 6:03 Pm I go and use my phone and it started running slow. So I did the uncooked rice method and in 5 hours (It's already 11:55 PM) and I it works like new. So WiFi was working and so was the device itself. Later on the next morning I use it and nothing happens at the night I see that my phone started using LTE and it was strange because I was outside and my Router was above me. I go on my house and see my phone scans for networks and nothing! I'm shocked! I touch the router with my phone and it connects but has 3 bars! Please help this isn't normal! Now when I'm in my room I get no connection. Basically, my WiFi range is shorter than before! What appears to be the problem? I already did a factory reset!! Please help! I use boot mobile if you're wondering.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried rebooting your router? Unplug its power for 10 seconds, then plug it back in again, and see how it connects this time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is reception universally decreased, regardless of which wi-fi network you're using? Do you notice poor reception now in places like Starbucks?

It's possible that the water immersion might have led to some water damage, affecting the wi-fi radio.

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Is reception universally decreased, regardless of which wi-fi network you're using? Do you notice poor reception now in places like Starbucks?

It's possible that the water immersion might have led to some water damage, affecting the wi-fi radio.

Well I've never been to Starbucks but yes with my cousin who lives below has an Internet router and I get 1 bar even tho my room is below their router!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's water damage, then I don't know if there's a definitive fix. Who knows, maybe there's a contact that's starting to corrode. The cost of trying to diagnose and fix the problem might end up being almost as much as a new phone.

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
If it's water damage, then I don't know if there's a definitive fix. Who knows, maybe there's a contact that's starting to corrode. The cost of trying to diagnose and fix the problem might end up being almost as much as a new phone.

If it's water damage, then I guess I'm forced to buy a new phone but I'm not willing to take that risk.

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
But isn't warranty suppose to repair/replace the phone? And by signs of water damage do you mean they feel/see the water? If the warranty is voided does that mean they don't replace it or they replace it but you loose your warranty.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Warranty doesn't cover accidental damage--only manufacturer defects. You'd need insurance to cover accidental damage. There are usually water sensors (in the form of water-sensitive stickers) inside the phone that can tell a technician if there has been significant water exposure.

But maybe your case isn't that clear cut. I checked out the warranty, and it looks like you might have some success, but it might be hard to prove to them. They won't cover water damage in these circumstances:

"D. This Warranty does not cover water damage to the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone where the water damage was caused by:

1. • improper closure of the back cover of the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone; or
  2. • use of a non Samsung accessory cover; or
  3. • submersion of the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone in water for 30 minutes or more; or
  4. • the depth of the water at which the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone was submerged was greater than or equal to 1 metre."

First, there'd have to be no sign of damage at all, like a crack that could let water in. If there is a crack, that would suggest damage, which would make the warranty void. Second, you'd have to convince them that you only had the phone in the water for a few seconds at a depth of less than 1 meter, and essentially that's going to be your word vs their judgment (unless you happen to have video footage of what you were doing).

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Sadly, I don't have the video due to factory reseting my phone. But this phone is in great condition until now. And this isn't a permanent pool this is one of the pools where you put air in it and just get the hose and put in it. One thing I didn't mention was that the pool had a filter pump I don't if that affected it. I believe it's called Filter VVI