Rooted phone, can't (?) access recovery mode, reset to stock or transfer files via PC

A

AC Question

I have a Huawei Honor Holly (Hol-U19) which I recently rooted. I then attempted to install a custom ROM and ClockworkMod, but somehow it all ended in me not being able (as far as I know) to access recovery mode. Also, when I do a factory reset from the Settings app, that doesn't actually do anything - I don't know if my attempt to do so screwed something up or not.

I have an SD card connected, and on it are, among other things, folders named "clockworkmod" (containing two files: ".nomedia" and ".settings") and "Kingroot" (with one folder "user" containing files "e_config" and "xda_config.dat").

Also, the phone doesn't show up in Windows Explorer (whether USB debugging is on or not or the SD card is inserted or not).

If you can figure anything out based on this limited information, I would greatly appreciate some help. If you need any other specific information, I'll try my best to give it to you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Huawei Honor Holly (Hol-U19) which I recently rooted. I then attempted to install a custom ROM
You don't actually root the phone, you root the ROM, so rooting was a wasted effort - it got overwritten with the new ROM.

and ClockworkMod, but somehow it all ended in me not being able (as far as I know) to access recovery mode.
Did you install CWM for that phone? You can't just install any CWM on any phone.

Also, when I do a factory reset from the Settings app, that doesn't actually do anything
All it should do is uninstall any apps you installed and delete any account - Google and email - that you added. It's not "factory reset to the stock ROM", it's "remove any additions I've made". (It doesn't replace deletions.)

I have an SD card connected, and on it are, among other things, folders named "clockworkmod" (containing two files: ".nomedia" and ".settings")
So no media files there will show up.

and "Kingroot" (with one folder "user" containing files "e_config" and "xda_config.dat").
From rooting.

At this point, I'd say flash the stock ROM and get the phone working as a stock phone first. (Remove the external SD card first - a stock phone doesn't need one.)

suldoher

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
At this point, I'd say flash the stock ROM and get the phone working as a stock phone first.
The problem is that I don't know how to flash the stock ROM. I have essentially no experience with the internal workings of Android and all instructions I've found don't actually work since I don't seem to be able to access the recovery mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21