11-08-2018 06:19 AM
195 1234 ...
tools Reply
    like others citing this problem, my Galaxy S5 phone began presenting this window at random times, making me have to restart my phone each time. As suggested, I went to Application Manager>Google App, but the Uninstall Updates button is disabled. Nowhere else to go now. 😩
    Dennis1948 likes this.
    09-26-2015 04:03 PM
    B. Diddy - Uninstalled the update and have not had the problem since. I'll try the update if /when a patch comes out. Thank you for your time and suggestions.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-26-2015 07:38 PM
    I had the problem on my Note4 and using downgraded the Google App from 5.3.23.arm to 4.0.78.156623.arm using the Application Manager. Problem solved. I now have the older Google blue square icon with the lower case g. Google functionality seems no different.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-26-2015 08:48 PM
    Thank you BDiddy.. so far this appears to be working for me...

"I suspect this has to do with the most recent update to the Google app. Try opening your Google Settings app, tap Search & Now>Voice>"OK Google" detection, and see what happens if you turn it off temporarily."
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-26-2015 09:32 PM
    This just started happening on my phone yesterday, it is very annoying, I am hoping that somebody, somewhere, figures out how to fix it. Following this post now
    09-26-2015 09:45 PM
    Welcome to Android Central, and thank you for confirming my suspicions that I discussed a few posts above. It sounds like the latest Google app update is causing some conflicts with Samsung's own Tap to Speak function. For now, everyone here should consider going to the App Manager, selecting Google App, and Uninstall Updates. Then wait for word on when either Samsung or Google corrects this conflict.
    Hi,
    When you suggest going to App Manager and uninstalling updates from the "Google APP," I'm assuming you mean to uninstall the updates from the App named: "Google Text-to-Speech Engine." Is that correct?

Because that's what I did and it worked. Tested it using Google voice to text on a few different apps and no freezes at all.

There WAS an app called "Google App," but I did NOT uninstall updates from that one.

This is on a Sprint Galaxy S4

Thanks very much for your help B. Diddy!!

UPDATE, 2 days later: Just to update, after uninstalling updates in "Google Text-to-Speech Engine," I noticed that it updated itself automatically, but that did NOT cause the problem to return. Still no freezes on "tap to speak" screen.

UPDATE #2 Darn (not the word I wanted to use...), it came back later in the day on the 2nd day. Going to try uninstalling the main "Google App" and am also turning off automatic updating.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-26-2015 10:00 PM
    Reporting in! Also had the Tap to Speak freeze up issue, Uninstall Updates on the Google App fixed it. But I lost the microphone on my Google keyboard -- and I don't want to use the Swype keyboard -- and I also lost my Google widget. Hope this gets fixed with a clean update stat.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-26-2015 10:14 PM
    Just happened to me today My S5 is less than a year old.
    09-26-2015 10:32 PM
    When you suggest going to App Manager and uninstalling updates from the "Google APP," I'm assuming you mean to uninstall the updates from the App named: "Google Text-to-Speech Engine." Is that correct?
    That's very interesting--I had meant the Google App (which is responsible for the Google Search widget and Google Now, among other things), because it was recently updated. I don't recall the Text-to-Speech app being updated recently. But it's certainly possible that the update to the Google App somehow caused it to interact poorly with the Text-to-Speech engine, contributing to the freezes. It would be interesting, for those of you who are having this issue, to see what happens if you first uninstall the updates to Text-to-Speech. If that doesn't help, then go ahead and uninstall updates to the Google App (and you can probably re-update Text-to-Speech again).

For those of you who have already uninstalled updates to the Google App, try re-updating it, and then uninstalling updates to Google Text-to-Speech.
    09-27-2015 01:08 AM
    I can't uninstall, turn power off or anything. The screen freezes midway so I can't scroll to tap the 2nd time to confirm I want to unistall, or turn device off.
    I'm not tech savvy and very frustrated. Phone is 2 months old.
    09-27-2015 08:40 AM
    The phone is completely useless in this mode. If I receive a call, I can't even hang up.
    09-27-2015 08:42 AM
    That's very interesting--I had meant the Google App (which is responsible for the Google Search widget and Google Now, among other things), because it was recently updated. I don't recall the Text-to-Speech app being updated recently. But it's certainly possible that the update to the Google App somehow caused it to interact poorly with the Text-to-Speech engine, contributing to the freezes. It would be interesting, for those of you who are having this issue, to see what happens if you first uninstall the updates to Text-to-Speech. If that doesn't help, then go ahead and uninstall updates to the Google App (and you can probably re-update Text-to-Speech again).

For those of you who have already uninstalled updates to the Google App, try re-updating it, and then uninstalling updates to Google Text-to-Speech.
    I uninstalled the updates to the Google text to speak app only- not the regular Google app - as suggested, and so far no more freezing and no other problems created. Thanks very much for the suggestions!
    09-27-2015 11:04 AM
    I don't see the "Google Text to Speech" in my applications manager...under the 'all' tab. I'd like to try that as suggested before I uninstall updates for the Google app as an alternative. Does it by chance go under other names? I am using galaxy note 3
    09-27-2015 12:28 PM
    I don't see the "Google Text to Speech" in my applications manager...under the 'all' tab. I'd like to try that as suggested before I uninstall updates for the Google app as an alternative. Does it by chance go under other names? I am using galaxy note 3
    Not so far as I know. I have it as Google Text-to-Speech Engine.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-27-2015 01:04 PM
    For me, this situation does not resolve itself by uninstalling the Google text to speech update. You need to uninstall the Google App update. This is what worked for me on my Note 4.

I recreated this issue by using the text to speech app, leaving it open and turning off the screen using the power button. Turning the screen back on results in the text to speech window freezing.
    09-27-2015 01:20 PM
    reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3maq93/android_tap_to_speak_screen_stays_on_screen/
    09-27-2015 01:29 PM
    I uninstalled the Google App and phone is working but can't talk in the message area. I'm hoping that if I reinstall the app in a week or so, Google will have fixed the problem. What do you think? Again, I'm not tech savvy.
    09-27-2015 02:31 PM
    Hi! I had the same problem when looking for the "text to speech" app on my moto G. If you looked through your apps by using the 'all apps' waffle button, it's not there. However, I did find it on my Moto G by going into settings (the little wheel cog button) and then selecting "apps"... scroll down and it was there. I uninstalled the update and went back to factory settings; so far, so good.
    Good Luck!
    09-27-2015 03:22 PM
    I am having the same problem with the Tap To Speak screen locking up on the screen. It started yesterday, 9/26/15, and is a real PAIN. If I power down and power up the Samsung S4 the screen is okay -- until I use the speech to text option. I think it may be a problem with Google. I have not loaded any new apps recently. I have not made any settings changes. I hope a solution can be found!
    09-27-2015 03:42 PM
    I am having the same problem with the Tap To Speak screen locking up on the screen. It started yesterday, 9/26/15, and is a real PAIN. If I power down and power up the Samsung S4 the screen is okay -- until I use the speech to text option.
    For Wayne WM:
    Try what I did (I have the S4 also). See post first post (#31) above by Lanten22. Try it, I think it will work. If not, then try B.Diddy's response to my post (about uninstalling updates in the "Google App.")
    09-27-2015 04:23 PM
    Problem for 2 days too...I have a Galaxy 5 and also uninstalled ONLY the Google Text To Speak app, and on quick use, it looks like that worked fine for me.
    09-27-2015 04:25 PM
    I uninstalled the updates to the Google text to speak app only- not the regular Google app - as suggested, and so far no more freezing and no other problems created. Thanks very much for the suggestions!
    I spoke too soon. It's happening again. :-(
    09-27-2015 05:14 PM
    I spoke too soon. It's happening again. :-(
    OK, then try uninstalling updates from the Google App.
    09-27-2015 05:22 PM
    I did the same thing (unistalled updates) but can't figure out what app I need to download from the play store? There is just a "Google" app. Is that the one to reinstall? I'd just assume have to keep restarting phone than lose my microphone.
    09-27-2015 07:46 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Yes, it's this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...earchbox&hl=en. Search for it, and tap Update.
    09-27-2015 08:14 PM
195 1234 ...