The "Tap to Speak" screen keeps freezing up on me

Marie Aussie

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
This started happening to me on my S5 today, I installed Avast battery saver app, the only thing different. If I turn on rotation and turn the phone sideways I can read my messages, otherwise it is useless. Had mine about 10 months now with Verizon. I don't think it is carrier related, has to be the app. It is only there when the phone is vertical I did a factory data reset, and all is well. I did NOT do system restore.

thechique

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem also - constantly! I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (Android 4.4.2). It started happening immediately after the recent update. There is no question that the update caused it. I haven't installed any new apps in months. For the most part, it only happens when the phone is in portrait mode, so I can still rotate my phone to finish what I was doing. However, it has happened to me in landscape mode once as well, which left me with two frozen boxes on my screen. I should mention that it's also difficult to power off when this happens because the screen that asks if you're sure is underneath the frozen part of the screen. I initially turned off Google voice typing, but I use it all the time. After reading this forum, I uninstalled the updates for the Google Text-to-Speech, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

l1018

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Omg same problem here. Note 4. Also FB freezes with links and videos, plus ok Google doesn't work sometimes. Traded phone with new note 4 and guess what, same exact issue. Pretty upset and exhausted. I can't use my phone fully.

lintpen

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
going on record. this problem started a few days ago -- needing to restart phone many times a day. (Galaxy s4) -- just uninstalled updates, we'll see. microphone still operational though ...

NeeNeech

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Like everyone else, I am having the same issue as is my husband. I thought initially it was because I have a small hairline crack on screen at about same level as the Voice to text box. But clearly after seeing this forum that is not the case. I am not the most tech savvy person, so please can you tell me how to uninstall a Google update?

JaniceBTO1

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
So I am trying what tombest suggested:
Do "Uninstall Updates" on the app named "Google Text to Speech Engine"
but I am also going to reinstall it
hoping this works

UPDATE: it did not work :(

Last edited:

Frank_B#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Uninstalled the UPDATES to Google app linked in message #50. Problem went away. Also disabled auto update for this app for the time being. No change in functionality. I use a.i Type keyboard.

I hope that we will get an announcement here when this gets fixed. I understand that yet another version is due in the next few weeks from what I have read on PC World.

Much thanks for the information presented in this thread. It was driving me crazy before.

I too have a Galaxy Note 4.

Frank.

Frank_B#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
JaniceBT01
I used the fix a couple days ago - worked great but now the problem is back

You probably did not turn off auto update for the app. If that is not turned off, it gets updated to the current (flawed) version again.

If you uninstall the updates, just leave them uninstalled until Google gets this fixed. Your phone will run just fine on the original version of the software that remains on your phone after you uninstall the updates.

Frank.

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone. My boss is having the same problem with his S4. I have uninstalled the updates to the Google app and turned off auto update. Hopefully, someone will inform us when a fix is available.

Yuyu63

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I would like to add that me and my girlfriend are both experiencing this issue as well United tried to remove the update yet but will be doing that today, we are both using the ZTE Zmax

WhitneyDeLuca

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
This tap to speak freezing screen is happening to me too. My husband has an earlier version of galaxy and was having this problem but it has all of a sudden stopped for him. I have a Galaxy 4 and it's still happening. Only a reboot helps. Why are there not more people complaining about this. It's disruptive and needs to be fixed.

ad-cfud

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here happening on my new Galaxy 6. Like the others, if I let google voice keyboard go inactive, then wait for the phone to sleep, when I turn it back on I am hosed up. Rebooting was my only solution...however, the workaround in this thread (msg #50) to uninstall the google app and disable auto-updates seems to have fixed the problem. Thx to p diddy

mgs9500

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the growing list of issues. I have a Samsung Edge 6 Plus, Verizon. I uninstalled the text to speech update.

Problem resolved with the change to Google Text to speech.

Uninstall of the Google app updates did not cure the problem. On my phone, the issue is text to speech.