The "Tap to Speak" screen keeps freezing up on me

DeimosRising

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy S5. Phone is about 2 months old from AT&T.

Sometimes,when I hit the microphone icon on the Samsung keyboard (say, for texting), the Tap to Speak screen allows me to, well, tap and speak at first, then it goes inactive (button turns white) and I cannot close it out by any means. All functions on that screen go dead and the screen sits there on top of everything but the lock screen. If I rotate the screen to landscape, the Tap to Speak screen slides off the bottom, but if I rotate back to portrait, the Tap to Speak screen slides back up.

If I restart or power off/on the phone, the Tap to Speak screen is gone.

I am unable to attribute the issue beginning with any updates or changes, but I'm sure I did something. :-\

DeimosRising

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
B. Diddy - Thank you. Wiped the cache and the Tap to Speak was gone, as it is with powering off and restarting. Unfortunately, its still doing it. I have the Samsung keyboard, Swype and Google voice typing (automatic) all selected under 'Languages and input'. Any additional help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10696

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

stanleys108

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Same Problem, started just 2 days ago. No new apps installed. If I stop the Messages App (actually stop, not just close), then it seems not to occur. Samsung Galaxy Alpha (SM-G850A) running Android 5.0.2. Looking forward to confirmed solutions.

Bellevue Craig

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I have same issue. Just started about 7 days ago. I may have had some application updates but nothing new installed.I have to restart the phone to access lower part of screen where "Tap to Speak" has frozen up.
Note 3 with Android 5.0
ps. Holding the phone in Landscape usually makes "Tap to Speak" disappear but it reappears in Portrait.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I suspect this has to do with the most recent update to the Google app. Try opening your Google Settings app, tap Search & Now>Voice>"OK Google" detection, and see what happens if you turn it off temporarily.

DeimosRising

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
B. Diddy - While in safe mode (thank you for the link) the problem persisted. I've been able to recreate the issue with consistency by allowing the tap to speak app to go dormant (button turns from green to white) and then accessing the phone's lock screen by depressing the power button. When going back into the phone by swipe or fingerprint, the tap to speak app is frozen. (would be great if others would try this and report back, if possible)

I also noticed that while in landscape, the tap to speak function is accessible and functioning as normal, but when put into the portrait orientation, the frozen screen remains.

I can always disable this function by deselecting the functionality, but would be a shame. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help with troubleshooting. Very much appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Running low on ideas here.:-\ I'm still suspecting some kind of app conflict, possibly due to the latest Google app update. Try going to the App Manager, select Google App, and Uninstall Updates temporarily. Now see if the problem persists. If it goes away, then I'm right--it was the latest update. Depending on what's more important to you, you could keep it at the original factory version of Google, or re-update it and hope either Google or Samsung sends a patch out soon.

beckes1

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi: Same thing happening here. Just started yesterday and we also have to turn the phone all the way off. Samsung Galaxy 4 on Sprint. Happens in text messaging just like everyone else.

PS, also if the tap to speak screen is open and phone goes to sleep mode, that is when it freezes just like the above examples.

Last edited: