Website downloaded a file without my permission...why is this even allowed?

A

AC Question

So I was on a clickbait article from facebook, not my most harmless guilty pleasure, but usually if you can sift through the obnoxious ad traffic it's no big deal. Today, however, as I was clicking through some list article, it took me to a website, and without asking my permission IMMEDIATELY started downloading a .swf file with some gibberish name. Download manager was helpful enough to tell me that the file was downloading...thanks...but not helpful enough to let me delete the file without plugging it into my PC. Conclusion:

1) Is there a setting where I can block ANY file from downloading onto my phone without explicit permission similar to one that I would have on my PC? I'm baffled that these files can just appear!

2) If for whatever reason a file does decide to download from a facebook browser or elsewhere, how can I access general files, downloads, or a file explorer like on my PC without having to connect it to my PC in order to delete potential malware IMMEDIATELY? I'll accept an app, but frankly, this should be a default option within the phone...not like it's easy to find. Sigh.

Thanks everyone!

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Android Central.
In settings and security there is a box for install from unknown sources. Make sure that is off.

For a file Explorer I use Es file Explorer. It will let do whatever you like with whatever file. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech