I set up my phone with my work GMail account. I no longer work there. I created a new account and have it on my phone and I want to get the old work account off of my phone. When I go to remove it I get a window that says, "Removing the account will delete all of its messages, contacts, and other data from the phone." There are work contacts that I don't want to lose. Is there any way to keep the contacts on my phone but get rid of the gmail account?
    Shreyansh agarwal likes this.
    09-29-2015 06:06 PM
    Make sure that all of the contacts are in the original gmail account in the cloud. Then, on a computer, open the gmail contacts and export all of them to a csv file. Then you can re-import them into a different gmail (or outlook or yahoo or anything) account, and delete the original gmail account with no problem.
    09-29-2015 06:10 PM
    You can also move the contacts into a backup file, save/move onto the phone or save them/move onto a SD storage card. Oh yea you can also move/save them into a folder on you phone under My Files on your phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-04-2015 07:50 PM
    You can export the contacts in the Gmail account to be deleted as a .vcf or .csv file and import them to the account to be used just as KCAndroid1 said. That should work fine, no problem.

The problem you may have is deleting the old Gmail account. If, as you said, you setup the phone with the soon to be deleted work account, IOW if it was the first account entered on the phone, then it is the default account on the phone. Deleting the default account does not work well. And the only way I know to put a different account on as default is to do a factory reset so the phone can start over from scratch. If you have to do a reset, don't forget to do backups first!

@KCAndroid1: You may call yourself KCAndroid1, but I'm from Kansas City, and I bet I had an Android before you did... :^)
    10-04-2015 08:51 PM

Watch this video it may help you to remove your Google account from your phone
    12-05-2016 10:01 PM
    I set up my phone with my work GMail account. I no longer work there. I created a new account and have it on my phone and I want to get the old work account off of my phone. When I go to remove it I get a window that says, "Removing the account will delete all of its messages, contacts, and other data from the phone." There are work contacts that I don't want to lose. Is there any way to keep the contacts on my phone but get rid of the gmail account?
    05-22-2017 09:14 AM