Google Now widget (doesn't show news anymore, only weather, traffic, etc)

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Although I saw similar questions, those didn't specifically ask about my particular issue...

Up until a few months ago, my Google widget would should me a random top story (based on my history), and other miscellaneous things like weather, traffic, agenda, etc.

After getting some Google update in early summer-ish, I now only get things like weather, I no longer get news stories on my widget.

To be clear, now my only way I can see news stories catered to me, is by actually opening the Google app (or holding down the home button), and then once I scroll past the section for weather, traffic, packages shipped, then I can see a huge list of different stories.

My point is, I used to get a one random news story on my widget without having to open the app. There would be one random interesting story/update right there on the widget on my homescreen.

I do recall the exact moment it stopped working. After that update, Google then presented some kind of new option to receive updates from "websites AND apps," whereas before, I definitely don't recall the word "apps" being in there. I can't explain why or how that would have anything to do with it, all I can say is that's the exact moment it stopped working for me (when I hit Yes to that question).

Obviously, I've tried the basics. Delete and re-set the widget, uninstall Google altogether, disable Google Cards altogether, hit "No" on receiving updates, and then hitting "yes" to renable it.

I'm at a total loss. I hope someone can help me. I really miss being able to just glance down on my homescreen and seeing an interesting headline.

I have a Galaxy S5, all latest updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy