Any Forums For The AT&T ZTE ZMAX 2?

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I picked up this phone last Friday from Walmart for $129.99. Some background: I'm on T-mobile and have been trying a crapton of recent cheap devices to find one that was even half decent, so in the past couple months I've tried the LG Leon, LG G Stylo, HTC Desire 626s, Galaxy Grand Prime, Moto G 3rd Gen, and in the past I have used a Galaxy S3, S4, Galaxy Nexus, and some others. Also tried a Nexus 5x for a week and Nexus 6. Here is what I think of my Zte Zmax 2

I love the size. The Nexus 6 really turned me to 5.5"+ phones and I think this one is pretty much the perfect size, though with smaller bezels it could probably fir 5.7" like the Moto X Pure.

This phone isn't lacking basic features. It doesn't have a gyroscope, barometer, or temp sensor, but it does have an ambient light sensor and magnetometer, those last 2 are something various other budget devices seem to be missing or or both of.

As far as other things go, no root or custom roms make this phone a bit gimped. For instance it doesn't take micro sd cards over 32GB. Since I only have 64GB cards, this is a real bummer, but I have hope a custom rom someday could fix this.

Aside from that, the phone has amazing LTE reception (though how it displays bars make signal look weak, the dbm measurement is as good or better than any of the other devices I tried, and the phone seems to strongly favor picking LTE back up over 2g/3g.

Now, to get to the battery life question? It's unbelievably amazing. I was expecting something similar to the 4hrs Screen on Time the G Stylo got, but this phone is immensely better. I have been seeing 6-8 hours SoT. For instance, right now my screen has been on for 3 hrs 31 mins over the day. The phone has been off the charger for 12 hrs 16 min, and I still have 43% battery left. That extrapolates to 6.14 hrs at 0% if I kept the same usage up until it dies. Of course it might not get that far, but so far I've never really been able to get close to killing this thing. If someone made a 6000mah extended battery for it, I bet it could best any phone out there. As it stands I think it could probably match or give the Xperia Z3 a run for its money in battery life. It's also way better than the Moto G in the battery department.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
A neighbor of mine just showed me her AT&T ZTE Zmax 2. I gotta say I was all round impressed with it. I spent about an hour with it and it seemed fast, snappy, and the screen was great. It doesn't look or feel cheap at all. I'm not a gamer and the camera doesn't matter to me, and I do realize it was a paltry 8GB of storage, but there wasn't all that much bloat and it was pretty easy to disable and remove unwanted apps to get pretty close to stock android feel (at least that's what I thought). I haven't spent any time with the new Moto G -- does that have a SD 410 as well?? -- but I think the 410 is plenty capable for day to day tasks. I'm stunned a phone like this can be bought outright for $129 -- what she paid. The phone should have it's own dedicated forum.

bajatrvlr

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
This is my first Android phone, but I have a Tegra Note 7 tablet that I've been cutting my teeth on. I said I didn't need a smart phone all these years and refused to buy one till now... This thing is a rocket ship and will accept a 64gig card, having no problems recognizing it. Newegg had them on sale for $119 and after looking at the spec's, pulled the trigger. I'm still playing around with it, but the removable 3000mah battery seems to last forever. I'm not a gamer but just using it to talk and text, plus surf the web; I've had it on for over 3 days. I've only had a MetroPcs service for 4 days so I'm still learning about all the tricks of balancing my Wii-fi with data in's and out's. I only opped for the 1gig data plan as I'll be within my Wii-fi's range most of the time... We'll see how it goes.
P.S. Mine is 16gig...

Ceez

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
This is my first Android phone, but I have a Tegra Note 7 tablet that I've been cutting my teeth on. I said I didn't need a smart phone all these years and refused to buy one till now... This thing is a rocket ship and will accept a 64gig card, having no problems recognizing it. Newegg had them on sale for $119 and after looking at the spec's, pulled the trigger. I'm still playing around with it, but the removable 3000mah battery seems to last forever. I'm not a gamer but just using it to talk and text, plus surf the web; I've had it on for over 3 days. I've only had a MetroPcs service for 4 days so I'm still learning about all the tricks of balancing my Wii-fi with data in's and out's. I only opped for the 1gig data plan as I'll be within my Wii-fi's range most of the time... We'll see how it goes.
P.S. Mine is 16gig...

Posts1 Posts
What brand/type of SD card did you use? I just recently purchased this phone and it won't read my 64GB microSDXC card even though ZTE's website and PhoneArena state that it supports it.

mewcatchew

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
How do we get a forum on here for the ZMAX 2? There is only 1 that I can find (on android forums) and it's pretty much desolate. For the low price and bang for the buck in the hardware you would think it would be a lot more popular; the 5.5" screen is real nice - no pixelation, it's fast, the 3000 mah battery lasts for days, has 2 gigs of ram (where almost all other budget devices have 1), great LTE reception, and its only $79. Looking forward to a root and custom ROMS to come out.

bskin8

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I like the phone. Got one for the wife about a week ago. Just do not drop it. I dropped hers today and the screen shattered. I've dropped other high end phones before and did not hurt the screen at all. Broken screens and liquid damage are not covered and the screen replacement cost is about $80. Paid $100. Like the phone overall, but pretty fragile. Will probably just buy her another and be really careful with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Terri0777

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Just saw this in store, I gotta say, it looks nice. How is your experience with it? Whats the battery life like?
The battery life is great. I can go more than a day without recharging. I got this phone to replace my galaxy s5 and I like so much more. The volume is louder than any phone I've ever had. I have to set it under half.

bajatrvlr

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
You can weld with it...

Just kidding... However with a 3000mah battery (removable) it can last me for weeks as I'm a very light user. The built in apps are good, especially the Dolby sound enhancer... This is my first smart phone but from what others have told me, this phone's battery life is exceptional. Compared to an iPhone that friends have to charge nightly, that's not the case with this phone.