How do I delete an old address from contacts w/o deleting the new one?

A

AC Question

I entered a new address for an existing contact by editing the contact. When I look at the contact in my list, it has both addresses listed. When I go back to edit contact, I can see the old address but I don't see how to delete it. If I tap it, it wants to show me navigation; if I select it by holding down my tap, it wants to copy it to clipboard. I have a RazrMaxx but not the HD one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open Contacts, then select the contact and tap the Edit button (I'm not sure if you're in the Edit screen, based on what you're describing). Tap on the Address field--you should see a cursor appear there to allow you to edit it. Backspace to delete all of the old address (or long-press it and select all text to delete). Does that work?

Fredtioga

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Address shows up when I press contact for my granddaughter, but not when I press details and the edit so I can't delete or change the address. Entering a new address does not overide it, and worse the old address is shown as the default. Galaxy note 8 with contacts copied from Galaxy note 4

TSBHISTORY

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
The reason you have multiples appearing and can't edit the old ones is that you have information either on Outlook or the Cloud that is appearing in the contacts information - OR - you have linked an old contact for that same person.

To fix the issue, first look to see if you have information for that person stored elsewhere. It's not always information you've deliberately entered elsewhere. Open the contact and select "Edit". If there are links to this contact you will see Outlook and or Cloud tab options at the top and to the right if the "Google" tab that you automatically open to.

Sometimes you can edit the information in those other tabs. BUT, sometimes you still can't see the old address/information but it is still there. So you need to "unlink" the other source(s)(Outlook or Cloud) of information. That will give you two appearances of that person in your contacts list. You can then update/edit or just delete the linked version if your Google contact is the accurate one.

krwalpole

Dec 16, 2018
Visit site
Click on the contact, click details, click the hamburger at top right, click Linked Accounts, now unlink any account you don't want to appear in your contact. Click save. Now you should only see the desired information in the contact.