Samsung Galaxy J5: 64GB SD Card problem

A

AC Question

This is my first Samsung device and I'm already running into issues with the phone. My phone supports SDXC cards of 64GB and up. I'm using a 64GB card right now and it could succesfully read it.

Then I've transferred most of my files of around 30GB (I have lots of music files) in one map named ''Music'' in the card but the stock music player app (Google Play Music) could only find like 100 of my 2000 songs in the app while it clearly says in the storage settings 30GB of 62GB or so occupied. So the phone does recognize the files in the storage settings.

Btw, I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the file formats because most of my files are either in MP3 or FLAC and the phone has no problem reading/playing those.

I've read that it could be something to do with .nomedia files making files not show up but even when I delete those .nomedia files I run into even more problems, like the phone suddenly not showing any files at all in the app or my computer/phone suddenly not recognizing my SD card after deleting those.

I formatted my card multiple times over and over and over again where it could recognize the card again but it still won't read all my files after I transferred to the card again which takes up a good three hours transferring files, only to reformat again because this incapable ****phone of $220 can't read it after awhile of using. This bull**** makes me crazy and makes me regret of ever buying a goddamn Samsung phone.

I hope some of you guys know about these type of issues and hopefully know a solution to these SD madness. I never ran into such problems with Sony or even BlackBerry devices....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html.

the chewy

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I personally own a Galaxy J5. SM-J500H to be exact. So far, the only solution I have to corrupted data/SD Cards if just removing the back cover, then sliding the SD Card out then back in. Works for me every time. No issues so far. (Ive owned this phone for a solid 2 months)

Oskar Akso

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I realize this is a long shot since the thread was started in 2015, but I would still like to give it a try. Thing is, I’ve also run into SDXC problems with my Galaxy J5 (SM-J5-00F). It works perfectly fine with SDHC, and it does recognize SDXC cards, but it can’t write properly to the latter (I’ve tried two brand new cards from different manufacturers, including Samsung). This goes for built-in apps as well as third party apps. I’ve had the entire motherboard replaced by Samsung’s Service Center, but the problem persists. So my question is: Did any of you guys ever get your J5 to work hassle-free with SDXC cards? If so, how?

As I’m not a frequent guest at this forum,
[email removed for privacy by Mod]
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fireside3

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Just follow up info on this. It only took me a few minutes to find the answer for what you're asking.
64gb cards may come formatted by default in Microsoft's exFAT, but this format can't be read by many android devices because of licensing agreements. Windows will only format 64gb or higher cards in exFAT or NTFS, but you can download a third party software to reformat the sd card in FAT32 and your phone may read it then.

Oskar Akso

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
@fireside3 – that sounds so helpful. Thanks a lot. Just wondering what kind of third party software I should look for since I’ve never dealt with reformatting SD cards before. I tried searching for "fat32” and Google Play suggests this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...in.co.pricealert.apps2sd&hl=sv&token=iagYqyOn

Would it do the job for me? Or is there something cleaner and more straightforward out there?

Akid92

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy J5: 32GB SD Card problem

Hello ive just bought a 32gb micro SD card for my samsung J5... However for some reason it will not let me use it, i inserted it, a little notification comes up saying Blank SD card or has unsupported file, when i click on it, it gives me the option " Format SD card " so i click on it since theres nothing on there cause its a new card there shouldnt be anything to format lol .... so i click on format sd card , it then sais " prepairing sd card " and after jumps right back on to Blank Sd Card . And like this over and over again. Also when i go on settings and choose storage it doesnt seem likey SD card is detected by my samsung .... If anyone can help me much appreciated !!

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I am having a issue in my device SD card of 64gb does not support in my samsung j5
The J5 does support a 64GB card (and should support up to a 2TB card when they come out). (Cards don't support devices, devices support cards.)

If you give us more details, maybe we can help. (For example, if you're running Marshmallow, and formatted the card as "internal", you no longer have a separate "card" - to the phone it's just part of "storage" now.)

Katy White

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I am currently getting a problem with my Samsung Brand my 128GB SD card. It has only started a few moths ago and I've had this phone for a year and the ad card since October. I would save photos and when I go back to them after awhile they won't show up saying " incorrect file" or something similar.Then I started noticing that half of my music would not work saying the same thing as before and even some would completely disappear. Also I had been saving my apps to the SD card and the newest apps I have downloaded has deleted itself saying it was never there. Instead of the app being called ' instagram' for example or would be something close to www.instagram.pdg i can't remember I made that up but you should understand.

I hope someone can get back to me on what I should do because I am running out of storage because I can't save anything to my SD card. I would like to know if anyone else is having this problem. I do realise that this is an old thread and that the J5 is an old phone especially that I have 2015 model. If anyone is going to reply being smart saying "just buy a new phone" I'm on a contract U ntill may 2018