How to delete the items in downloads list/folder in gmail "attach file"?

A

AC Question

When attaching a file using/in gmail or email app, there is an option to attach file from Downloads. How can I delete the items in the downloads list/folder? Going through the File Manager>Download folder doesn't help. If I delete the file directly from the File Manager>Download folder and attempt to attach it using the gmail/email app, my phone sends a "couldn't send attachment..." report.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. Are you trying to attach a file in the Download directory to an email you're composing? Why are you trying to delete it from the Download directory, then trying to attach it to the email?

If you want to delete files from the Download directory, either use the file manager app or the Downloads app.

Snielsen123

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem.

When I write an email using the Gmail app and want to attach a file, i click the attach-icon then Files...
If I browse the Downloads folder i see a very long list of files. NOT a list of files that Are actually in the folder. This list seems to include all files that were ever stored in that folder. Including files that i deleted even long time ago.
It seems like gmail/android logs all downloaded files and the gmail app uses this log-list instead of reading the actual contents of the Downloads dir
I have samsung galaxy s2 with android 5.0.1

Last edited: