How do I get rid of that keyboard icon?

Rikku Watro

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I have one or more keyboards selected, an icon shows up telling me to choose a method to select which keyboard to use. It's just so annoying, and the only way to get rid of it is to uncheck all non-Samsung keyboards! And then I can't uncheck the Samsung Keyboard, even when other keyboards are checked. I tried going to the apps list, and saw that I couldn't disable the Samsung keyboard either! I really want to get rid of that keyboard icon, but I don't want to root my device, so how do I disable it? I've tried searching and couldn't find any help for this. Please reply as soon as you can help!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Which phone and Android version do you have? After Lollipop the icon to change the keyboard is on the bottom right corner. Maybe you're touching on it accidentally while typing. Sometimes it happens to me when swiping one handed. As far as I know you can't remove it without root when you have different keyboards installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe that's standard for Android. It's just an easy way to allow the user to switch keyboards on the fly if they want, while they're typing something. That way, they don't have to leave what they're doing to go to the Settings>Language & Input ​menu. Just curious, why is it so bothersome?

Rikku Watro

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I just don't like the icon showing up in the device while typing! Are you sure there is no way to get rid of it without rooting other than unchecking everything except the Samsung keyboard?