Do phones and magnets mix?

A

AC Question

I have a little circular magnet that clips on to my car vent (bought at Best Buy). I stick the metal square that comes with it onto the back of my Nexus 6, and use that to mount my phone while driving. I've done this with an iPhone and a Note 4 in the past, and never had a problem.

The weird problem is: With my Nexus 6 (can't remember if it just started or if its been going on for a while), whenever I pull the phone off of the magnet, the screen turns on (or turns off if it's already on).

I am running 6.0, rooted with Despair Kernel. Ambient display is off, but I do have a Knock On APK installed, as well as the "knock on" setting switched on in the Device Control app I use to manage the kernel.

Any idea why this is happening?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The magnet is probably interfering with the phone's smartcover sensor, which detects magnetic fields. If you take it off the mount, it's similar to opening a smartcover (which has a small magnet embedded in it)--removing the magnetic field from the sensor triggers the screen to turn on.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae