Cheap Updatable Android Tablet Suggestions?

A

AC Question

Hello,

I am looking to pick up a small (7 in or so) cheap Android tablet on Black Friday. I already have an iPad and phone so just want to play with Android a bit. The only thing I care about is that it is cheap and I should be able to upgrade to the next few Android versions (either by rooting or ota). Any suggestions? I keep coming across the Nexus 7 but is that too old to handle upcoming updates?

Thanks!!
Kristin

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The 2013 Nexus 7 is nearing the end of its lifecycle--it's doubtful that it will get the next major Android update (i.e. Android N), although being a Nexus, someone will probably find a way to install a working ROM (which they did for the 2012 Nexus 7). That being said, it's still an excellent device, and is very cheap these days. Most other cheap tablets won't be guaranteed to get many significant system updates (or they might not get any at all), and if they're really cheap and off-brand, they'll be low quality and really not worth it. The best bet for a non-Nexus would probably be one of the cheaper Samsung tablets, like the Tab A.

By the way, the 32 GB Nexus 9, which definitely will get more updates, is $299 at Dailysteals.com for one more day: DailySteals. Is that beyond your budget?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12