01-01-2018 02:54 PM
34 12
tools
    well, I appreciate all the help
    Just sending a link is very impractical, would be nice if there was a texting app that didn't compress video. I've tried them all, they all compress. The only option that might work is You tube, but I don't have a You tube account. Even if I did have a You tube account and was willing to go through that whole process of uploading and sending a link, lets be honest, it's not as good as just sending a video via text and I don't want my videos on You tube, even if it is set to private. I might be willing to go to You tube and send a link, but is everyone else? I don't expect every one who wants to send me a video to create a You tube account and then send me a link. Also In Group messages, I've found that if there is an Android user in the group message the entire video gets compressed. I downloaded Google Hangouts, I'm gonna try that now. All I'm saying is that it would be nice if on Android I could send videos uncompressed via text like I can on my iphone. That's a really nice feature.
    11-29-2015 01:20 PM
    I downloaded Google Hangouts, I'm gonna try that now.
    Hangouts as an instant messenger doesn't currently have the ability to send a video except via MMS (when using it as a texting app). It does support links to videos, including pre-fetching them - but all the video capabilities are links and/or MMS.
    11-29-2015 01:31 PM
    Yea, I've not had a good experince with Hangouts. To bad, Google hangouts could be the cross platform texting app to replace imessage.
    11-29-2015 10:02 PM
    I'm surprised that there is not an app for this. Like a messaging app that does not compress and is cross platform. Seem's like that is what people need. Google hangout's is really bad, can't even send video. Just surprised no one has come up with an app like this.
    12-01-2015 07:17 PM
    How I know Telegram is not compressing anything at all. At least you got an option for that in the desktop client, not sure about mobile, give it a try!

https://s23.postimg.org/hysi7unnf/IMG_5240.jpg
    04-06-2017 07:29 AM
    I'm surprised that there is not an app for this. Like a messaging app that does not compress and is cross platform. Seem's like that is what people need. Google hangout's is really bad, can't even send video. Just surprised no one has come up with an app like this.
    My frustration as well, which has kept me on the iOS platform as well. After years of my family and I using iMessage to send full quality videos, there's no alternative that I have found. Sending a link from YouTube is great and all, but not if the person on the other end would like to add that video to their gallery, photo album etc. That's the only gotcha I cannot get around and I LOVE the android platform otherwise. Oh well
    07-02-2017 10:07 PM
    Any more modern 2017 info on this?

Recently my family and I have been in a "phase" wanting to send eachother pics and videos from vacations and events n such.

My dad loves sending pics and video to his homeland and does so by sending these tiny little pixelated clips. Now, my parents are oldschool/stubborn and so won't at all do anything like YouTube or DropBox etc. They just like sending their little weeny 8bit videos. Actually, my dad even mocked me for having an S8+ that "couldn't send video" because of it large file size due to quality, even for 7second videos.

I've resorted now to doing this: Take video at Full HD (I will NOT) set my camcorder settings to VGA as I ALWAYS want ANY video I take to have the ORIGINAL in a high quality. Then, I use F-Stop gallery app to compress the video to 240,480,or 720 depending on the length of the video and recipient. This takes a few minutes, but then saves as another copy in my phone which I can access through F-Stop or the stock gallery app. Then, I can send it.

Does anyone know of a texting/sms app on Android that can convert/compress videos automatically? I swear, my old motorola Android phones from the past could do this...
    08-21-2017 02:47 AM
    Thanks for the reply, but that's not true, on my iPhone it won't compress, I can send videos up to 10mins long without any compression
    iOS doesn't send large media files as sms over cell...It sends them using Apples iMessenger. These are strictly sent using data/Wi-Fi. That is why larger files can be sent. It's like a built in wetransfer or something akin to that.
    12-31-2017 11:40 PM
    drd7of14, the difference isn't how they're sent, it's whose server they sit on. When you send an MMS, it sits on your casrrier's server. When someone sends an iMessage with a file attached, the file sits on Apple's servers. (And if you just add up the difference in prices between the iPhones being sold and the Samsung flagship phones being sold, that would pay for an awful lot of servers through the years. Apple was $100 or more higher in price for many years.)
    01-01-2018 02:54 PM
34 12