What is the best way to send video without compression?

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I thought what's app didn't compress videos, but it does. Are there any texting apps that don't compres? Sometimes I wish I had an iPhone for this reason.

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
re:

So, I guess what I'm trying to understand is that people with Android phones can not send videos to each other and that just blows my mind. What's the point of having a good camera on a phone if you cant send videos to friends. IDK..........just seems so ridiculous.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

So, I guess what I'm trying to understand is that people with Android phones can not send videos to each other and that just blows my mind. What's the point of having a good camera on a phone if you cant send videos to friends. IDK..........just seems so ridiculous.
Have you read any of the responses to your thread? You can send all the videos you want, just not via MMS. No phone can send large videos on mms, including iPhone, Windows and BlackBerry. There are zero giant videos traveling carrier MMS waves. iOS does it by imessage which is on their own servers and everything else does it by compression or by sending links to content. If you want to share videos, take advantage of the myriad of free and easy services and send a link to the user.

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I've read all the replies and I've tried all the suggestions, all of them compress video to the point it is not watchable. Drop box compresses, Google Drive compresses, Kik, What's app, Facebook messenger ect..... Even if I made a You tube account, then recorded a video, then uploaded the video to You tube, then waited for it to upload., then copied link, then sent the link. Even if I went through all of that, a total of like 5 steps just to send a video, It would still be compressed. I've really tried to make this work, but it does not. It genuinely suprises me that people with Androids can not send videos to each other in 2015. It bums me out, my Note 5 was an amazing phone, but not being able to send watchable videos to friends just makes the phone seem outdated and lets be honest, MMS is out dated. Anyway, the point of this thread was to figure out how Android users send media, but everyone got defensive and basically turned into a Fan boy thread, So, I'm over it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
YouTube can publish 4K videos. It does do minor compression but on anything 720p and above it could hardly be considered unwatchable.

Google Photos, if you select full size, doesn't compress video at all. On full size it uses your Google Drive space. If you select the unlimited free option, it scales down to 1080p.

In 2015 no operating system is sending video via MMS without compression. You keep saying android can't do it, but imply that Apple can. People using android are sharing millions of videos per day, just not via the worst options possible (MMS) - almost all of the social media and file storage options will allow users to share extremely high quality videos. These include Google+, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, YouTube, etc, etc.

You're seeing the same answers over and over because the desire to use MMS is the part that is broken in this process. Literally no one, Apple included, can do this. That is not a fanboy statement, it is a fact about MMS. So if you change your perspective question from "I only want MMS and want to send uncompressed videos and I incorrectly believe that Android is the only OS that can't do this" to "what's the best way to share videos?" - then all of the help people have been offering is worth something.

When we answer the question, over and over, and explain the details of why it works and then you dismiss the answers and reasons in order to restate your original question... Yeah, that comes off as a little trollish or like you don't believe those trying to help you.

Either way, the answers are in this thread, many times - either use a social media app or share a link. If you try to use MMS on any operating system, it will either send nothing or massively compress the file. This is because MMS has three file size limiters (app, device, carrier) and the smallest of the three is the largest file that will travel.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
From Wiki:

Unlike text only SMS, commercial MMS can deliver a variety of media including up to forty seconds of video, one image, multiple images via slideshow or audio plus unlimited characters.

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
well, I appreciate all the help
Just sending a link is very impractical, would be nice if there was a texting app that didn't compress video. I've tried them all, they all compress. The only option that might work is You tube, but I don't have a You tube account. Even if I did have a You tube account and was willing to go through that whole process of uploading and sending a link, lets be honest, it's not as good as just sending a video via text and I don't want my videos on You tube, even if it is set to private. I might be willing to go to You tube and send a link, but is everyone else? I don't expect every one who wants to send me a video to create a You tube account and then send me a link. Also In Group messages, I've found that if there is an Android user in the group message the entire video gets compressed. I downloaded Google Hangouts, I'm gonna try that now. All I'm saying is that it would be nice if on Android I could send videos uncompressed via text like I can on my iphone. That's a really nice feature.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded Google Hangouts, I'm gonna try that now.

Hangouts as an instant messenger doesn't currently have the ability to send a video except via MMS (when using it as a texting app). It does support links to videos, including pre-fetching them - but all the video capabilities are links and/or MMS. :(

RealtorROb

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm surprised that there is not an app for this. Like a messaging app that does not compress and is cross platform. Seem's like that is what people need. Google hangout's is really bad, can't even send video. Just surprised no one has come up with an app like this.

jiden77

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised that there is not an app for this. Like a messaging app that does not compress and is cross platform. Seem's like that is what people need. Google hangout's is really bad, can't even send video. Just surprised no one has come up with an app like this.

My frustration as well, which has kept me on the iOS platform as well. After years of my family and I using iMessage to send full quality videos, there's no alternative that I have found. Sending a link from YouTube is great and all, but not if the person on the other end would like to add that video to their gallery, photo album etc. That's the only gotcha I cannot get around and I LOVE the android platform otherwise. Oh well

Targatheory

Banned
May 13, 2011
Visit site
Any more modern 2017 info on this?

Recently my family and I have been in a "phase" wanting to send eachother pics and videos from vacations and events n such.

My dad loves sending pics and video to his homeland and does so by sending these tiny little pixelated clips. Now, my parents are oldschool/stubborn and so won't at all do anything like YouTube or DropBox etc. They just like sending their little weeny 8bit videos. Actually, my dad even mocked me for having an S8+ that "couldn't send video" because of it large file size due to quality, even for 7second videos.

I've resorted now to doing this: Take video at Full HD (I will NOT) set my camcorder settings to VGA as I ALWAYS want ANY video I take to have the ORIGINAL in a high quality. Then, I use F-Stop gallery app to compress the video to 240,480,or 720 depending on the length of the video and recipient. This takes a few minutes, but then saves as another copy in my phone which I can access through F-Stop or the stock gallery app. Then, I can send it.

Does anyone know of a texting/sms app on Android that can convert/compress videos automatically? I swear, my old motorola Android phones from the past could do this...

drd7of14

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
Re: Please help with texts

Thanks for the reply, but that's not true, on my iPhone it won't compress, I can send videos up to 10mins long without any compression
iOS doesn't send large media files as sms over cell...It sends them using Apples iMessenger. These are strictly sent using data/Wi-Fi. That is why larger files can be sent. It's like a built in wetransfer or something akin to that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
drd7of14, the difference isn't how they're sent, it's whose server they sit on. When you send an MMS, it sits on your casrrier's server. When someone sends an iMessage with a file attached, the file sits on Apple's servers. (And if you just add up the difference in prices between the iPhones being sold and the Samsung flagship phones being sold, that would pay for an awful lot of servers through the years. Apple was $100 or more higher in price for many years.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol