Why an I unable to attach file in text message

A

AC Question

Last night, I was sending text messages w pictures attached, then it stopped working out of the blue. Each time I try to attach a picture in text message I get a pop up saying "unable to attach file". I've tried rebooting my phone several times and it still is not working.

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
To follow up with my previous post: I have AT&T and just got of the phone with their Android support. She said there was a known issue, but she went through all the trouble shooting and checking of settings, including remoting into my phone to verify my settings and everything looked correct. They did so she added me to the general ticket for the known issue. I asked if it was device specific or mobile provider specific. She indicated it was AT&T and suspected to be a software issue. So if you have AT&T I would suggest calling their tech support and verifying if you are being affected by the known issue. She said they are working on it but don't have a resolution yet.

DoubleDB

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Exact same problem here on my Galaxy Note 3, service provided by AT&T. Sunday evening, Dec. 6th, I was sending multiple texts, attaching a photo when, several messages later, received error message "unable to attach file" -- sending same picture that had been going out. Everything else seems to be okay -- I can still send pictures through my gmail account so an AT&T problem seems quite logical. I didn't realize how many pictures I attach to texts ... until I couldn't. :p Thank you for your posts. Though AT&T doesn't have an answer yet, your posts saved me (& others) research time trying to figure out what's wrong with our phone.

Julie Stuckmeyer

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my Note 3 but I have Sprint. I can attach if I take the picture or if I go to the picture page and hit the share button but not if I click on the paperclip icon and then the picture. Very weird. My husband can still do it and he is using a Galaxy 5.:confused:

JohnnyClark82

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Having the exact same issue.

Every time I try to attach a picture to a text message it stops and says "Unable to Attach file".

This started a few days ago. After Dec 8th. Very frustrating.

My phone is an Android Samsung Galaxy S5 and is fully up to date with the latest OS.
Virgin Mobile provider. Nova Scotia Canada.

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Final update, I am now able to attach images again. So it must have been fixed - at least with AT&T. I didn't see any updates come through that required me to restart, but it works now! But it does sound like it's something that may not be mobile provider specific but they have to push out the updates? I'm new to android - just switched from an iPhone so updates were always across the board.

305rob305

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Final update, I am now able to attach images again. So it must have been fixed - at least with AT&T. I didn't see any updates come through that required me to restart, but it works now! But it does sound like it's something that may not be mobile provider specific but they have to push out the updates? I'm new to android - just switched from an iPhone so updates were always across the board.
Are you using Google Photos? I'm using it and it says "Unable to attach file". It works with the regular gallery though. I have a s6 Edge with At&t. How was yours fixed?

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I usually use the stock photo gallery. I'm not really sure how it was fixed, I didn't see any updates (asking for a restart or anything) - although I was running an app to disable unnecessary tasks and almost bricked my phone (this didn't have to do with this issue, I was trying to extend the battery life), so after several restarts and reenabling everything it's possible that during one of those restarts it did an update? I just happened to try and attach and image and it worked. It actually seemed a little quicker. I just tested it again with both the stock gallery and with Google photos and they both worked.

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Well it didn't stay fixed. Having the same problem again.

UPDATE:
I think I might know the possible cause of my problem. I had installed Package Disabler Pro and followed instructions on disabling "unnecessary" apps according to a post on trend blog to increase the battery life (sorry I would post a link but I don't have permissions)

It was at some point after that I started to have the problem. I didn't connect the two, but started having another problem so re-enabled everything and did a total shut down then restart, and it was a day later I noticed it worked. Yesterday I went back to the steps to disable things to save battery life and then today tried to attach an image and the problem was there again. So on a hunch I re-enabled everything, then did a warm restart. Same problem with the images. Then I did a total shut down then restart and now the image attachments are working. So in case you are using the Package Disabler Pro - you may want to check that out. Also, just a suggestion, if you added any other type of app to manage usage and background apps it may have the same affect. Can't say with 100% certainty that was the culprit for me but it sure seems like it was.

Last edited:

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I finally did a full backup (Samsung Smart Switch, SMS Backup and Restore, Export Contacts as VCF, and backing up photos and ringtones manually), cache wipe, factory reset, and upgraded to 5.1.1. One of those steps restored my ability to send MMS.

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I may have to do the full backup, reset and restore as well. It seems to be an intermittent problem, sometimes it will just start working, then it stops. I'm also noticing a problem with it staying connected to my home wifi. So maybe just need to go down the reset path.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Just make sure to use at least 3 different backup programs, plus Google's Account Sync (although that barely backs up anything at all), then manually copy your entire DCIM, Pictures, Ringtones, etc. directories to your PC through a USB3 connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey