Why does first generation Nexus 7 tablet run so very slowly?

A

AC Question

My first generation Nexus 7 (Model ME370T) running Android 5.1.1 runs unbelievably slowly and I can’t find out what’s causing it.

It can take ten minutes or more to start up. Today I had 69 apps that needed updating and that took about 6 hours over WiFi. I have a strong WiFi connection and my download speeds are pretty good - around 240 Mb/s wired and around 40+ Mb/s wireless.

I bought this a a reconditioned item about a year ago, to run a specific app with my Canon DSLR. I’m mostly a Mac user so Android is a foreign country to me. But I understand that this is a fast little tablet so I’m all the more puzzled by the issue. I have tried a newer Android phone with the same applications and it’s very fast at updating apps and running generally on my home WiFi network.

My Nexus 7 has around 19 GB of storage available out of a total of 28.17 GB total.

Can anyone please suggest some way to benchmark my Nexus 7 so that I can try to identify if it’s some kind of settings issue or maybe a fundamental hardware problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34