Will wipe request from Android Device Manager affect replacement device?

A

AC Question

I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 stolen, so a remote wipe was sent from Android Device Manager. I have a spare tablet of the same model that I need to set up with the same account as the stolen one. When I sign into the Google account on the new device, will the pending remote wipe command affect it, or is that request somehow tied to the specific device it was originally issued to? I'm only concerned because the device is only identified by model number in ADM, rather than MAC or serial, so I want to be sure ADM won't send that command to the next thing signed in to with that Google account. Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,
Sorry you had your tablet stolen. :( But ADM DOES identify your device by hardware ID...it just doesn't show it. If you use the same account in, say, 5 devices with the same model, you'd see 5 devices with the same name, which you can then later customize. But every device is handled individually.

The remote wipe command you sent was for that device and that device only. If you set up your account on a new one, even if it's the exact same model, Google will recognize the different hardware ID and treat that device as a separate entity.