Why aren't my Beats as loud with cord as they are wireless?

C

croyal619

Just got new Beats and they sound fine when connected with Bluetooth. However when I plug in a cord (to get longer battery life) the sound is significantly lower and there is a lot of static. They are plugged in good. Anyone know what the problem might be?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Beats headphones are often "Made for iPhone," which means there can sometimes be compatibility issues with non-iOS devices. Does this happen with other devices as well? Can you test it out on an iPhone?

croyal619

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I've tried them with a Samsung Galaxy S5 as well as my iPod nano. My brother is having the same issue withat his Beats as well and tried on the same devices (he has a Galaxy S5 and iPod nano as well). And no, we don't have an iPhone we could test it on. It should work the same on an iPod and iPhone though, right?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Devices put volume limits on headphones to prevent lawsuits from hearing damage. When a Jack is plugged into the port it sees that as headset. One way it distinguishes headsets from speakers is headsets will have 4 section jacks and speakers will have 3 section jacks so you may find that plugging a speaker in gives a full rich sound verses you headset. Anyway Bluetooth devices require coding to be recognized as headsets speakers or whatever other devices that may be. My guess is your device sees it as a speaker and lifts the volume restriction. You might try an old analog set of headphones for comparison, ones that don't have a mic. I think you'll get full volume out of them, because of the 3 section Jack.

Posted via the Android Central App

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry earlier I said Jack when I meant plug. Anyway cleaning the Jack, the whole where you plug in, may help with that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But the OP's brother is having the same issue with his own S5 and Nano as well, so I'm guessing it isn't the jack. Won't hurt to try cleaning it out, though.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My last comment was directed at the static question, not the Beats question. The port where you plug in headphones collects debris easily, but due to its size debris isn't early removed. Plug in a few times with something in there and then it gets even harder to remove. If you've ever had to twist a headset Jack or plug it a couple of times to get something to work you'll know what I mean.

croyal619

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I haven't tried other headphones with them, but every pair of earbuds I've used with my S5 and Nano has worked fine. Same with my brother - never used any other headphones, but his earbuds have always worked

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would guess it's either a defect or some kind of incompatibility of the Beats headphones. It'd be interesting to see if they work fine when plugged into an iPhone 5 or 6. You may want to contact Beats directly and see if they can do anything.