Samsung Galaxy Prime Questions from New User

Kevin Christof

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
So I called my sister phone and put my phone together with hers and put it on speaker and it both started making weird noises when I talked into it why is that? And could you potentially break your phone by doing that or is it fine because I don't want my phone to break thankyou .

So I've been thinking about restricting backround data on my Samsung grand prime but does it mess up anything I heard it saves battery on your phone is that true? Could you guys specify what it does and tell me if it saves battery thankyou and should I turn it on or leave it off

Guys I've been using this sunglasses lens cleaner to clean my phone screen / camera I'm wondering is it safe to use that and am I still able to use it ? It's a sunglasses lens cleaner and it comes with a spray and a cloth and i spray the spray on my phone and camera and wipe it could you guys tell me if its same to use ?

So my Samsung grand prime has been dying quite fast lately I've been using it at 3:04 pm on 97% and by 3:49-3:50pm it was on 91%-90% and I didn't even do much stuff I just went on the Internet and in the setting and on some built in phone apps from my carrier and the battery just goes down could you guys tell me if its going down normal or if its going down to fast thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does Google services waste a lot of my battery?

1. That's 8% of the 22% that's been used (100-78=22), so it used about 1.76% of the battery - that's not a lot.

2. Look at the list at the bottom - that's what could be using services - contact sync, the framework itself, the account manager - those things run when they're needed.

3. You've used only 22% of the battery in about 8 hours - that's pretty good. A lot of people would love to get through a full 8 hour work day without having to charge the phone before leaving.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why does Google services waste a lot of my battery?

You can disable Google play services if you don't need it

Just so you understand, this is what it does :

Google Play services is used to update Google apps and apps from Google Play.
This component provides core functionality like authentication to your Google services, synchronized contacts, access to all the latest user privacy settings, and higher quality, lower-powered location based services.
Google Play services also enhances your app experience. It speeds up offline searches, provides more immersive maps, and improves gaming experiences.
Apps may not work if you uninstall Google Play services.

Kevin Christof

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
my location services keep turning on by itself?

Guys I keep turning my location services off on my Samsung grand prime and it keeps turning on my itself does anyone know what to do or know how to fix it because it just keeps turning on by itself

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: my location services keep turning on by itself?

It could be some app that you have installed. Normally it should not turn on by itself. You can try to do a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem

Kevin Christof

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
But this never happened before why is it wasting like 13-14% now

I have a Samsung grand prime and what percentage should I put my phone in the charger so I get the fullest out my phone

Last edited by a moderator:

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: what percentage should you put your phone in the charger

I always run my phone down to 15% before giving it a full charge.
but I'm a heavy user, so I end up charging my phone twice a day.

Kevin Christof

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Oh OK I have 2 question about receiving notifications :)

1. when I receive a text / Snap chat message / kik message should I turn vibrate off or on ? Because I'm trying to save battery so idk to keep it off or on

2. When I receive notifications should I turn wake screen off or on ? Doesn't waking the screen kind of mess up ur battery life ? Off or on?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait so does that mean that I should charge my phone when it hits around 10%

That chart can be a bit confusing. Talking strictly of maximizing battery health, it listed the number of cycles based on how much has been used, aka depth of discharge. In that chart, a 10% DoD is the same as if your phone's battery meter went from 100% to only 90%.

You do need to read the article linked several posts up to the Battery University page it came from. Taking that chart out of context and by itself and using it as a guideline for when to charge can actually hurt the battery if you plug in at 90%. Lithium batteries don't like being at a constant high charge rate above about 75%. There's also other factors involved too. It's generally accepted that running your battery down to 40% or so before charging to full is a good compromise with phones. If the battery is removable, then I'd actually go lower, to 20-30% remaining. That way you can save wear and tear on USB cables and the port. I'd rather replace a battery early than hardware, but that's my personal preference.

Oh OK I have 2 question about receiving notifications :)

1. when I receive a text / Snap chat message / kik message should I turn vibrate off or on ? Because I'm trying to save battery so idk to keep it off or on

2. When I receive notifications should I turn wake screen off or on ? Doesn't waking the screen kind of mess up ur battery life ? Off or on?

1) If you're talking about vibration vs sound notifications, then vibration will use a little more power. If you're doing a lot of messaging and getting notices often, you may see a difference between the two. If you don't get a lot of notices, then the difference will be negligible.

2) If you're looking to purely increase battery life between charges, then obviously leaving the screen off with notifications is best, assuming you have another form of indication. Otherwise you could fall into a pattern of manually turning it on more often to check than if you let it turn itself on as needed. Going back to (1), I'm not sure if vibration or screen on would take more power. I personally would just do whatever is more convenient. I'm not away from an outlet long enough for that kind of micromanaging of power to become an issue.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So your telling me charging ur phone at a high percentage such as 90%-40% can hurt your phone and charging it from 20%-10% won't hurt ur phone it will help it

Like I said, you really need to read that article. Keeping your phone above 75% for long periods, and letting it drop below about 40% can hurt the battery. The longer it's held at a high charge and the deeper you discharge it, the more harm it can do.

If you don't want to read the Battery University page, then just charge your phone and use as normal. When it hits about 40% remaining, plug it in. That's the general guidelines without having to understand what's going on in it.

Kevin Christof

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
What's the link to the article and

What do you mean ?

Let it hit 40% then stick it in the charger till it reaches 100% isn't that bad thoe lol I thought I would have to wait for it to say plug it in the charger. . But anyways I should let it drop to 40% then plug it in the charger till 100%

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: what percentage should you put your phone in the charger

This is the article I was referring to.

The main problems are like I said, keeping batteries at a high charge and draining them to or near zero (temperature being a third, but usually not an issue with phones unless you're seeing warning notices). The absolute best is to keep them around 50%. So at that point, the user has to decide. You don't want to be plugging and unplugging every ten minutes to keep it right in the middle. The battery will certainly benefit, but it's a huge inconvenience for most people and you'll run through cables like crazy as they wear out. Charging to 100%, then draining to zero is most convenient but can harm the battery. So it's a balance of what works best for you.

The 40% mark is only a guideline and you are free to adjust as necessary. It's just a good starting point to work from. The good news is lithium batteries aren't affected by short charge/use cycles. All things being equal, two 50% drain and charge cycles are effectively the same as one full discharge. Arguably better since you're avoiding the full drain.

Charging to 100% and then using it isn't going to hurt because it's going to quickly drop during use. You mainly don't want to store it as a full battery (which is why they only have a partial charge when you get a new one), and I don't even recommend overnight charging. That may be extreme to some, but it's not even an inconvenience to me to just make sure it's charged enough to last through the night. Besides, knowing my luck, I'd damage the USB cable and/or phone port trying to blindly grab it when the alarm goes off and I yank it the wrong way. Lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams