I am not able to access my SD card contents on Moto X Play running Marshmallow through Windows PC

A

AC Question

I recently updated my software from Android 5.1.1 to Android 6.0, and before the upgrade i could access all files on SD and internal storage through my PC. But now i am not able to. Selecting MTP on connecting to PC only shows files in my internal storage, my SD card reads empty.

sva999

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
before marshmallow I could copy/save music files on San Disk 32. After marshmallow, Nada! just shows Moto G3 in folder tree, but cant open it. Many other similar posts here - sounds like a bug - a big F*** bug!

appy_mnm

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the SAME issue! chose sd card to serve as a portable memory rather than internal. Its really annoying and totally unacceptable. Marshmallow update has caused more problems rather than solving it.
PS Why on Earth wont the sd card contents show up?? i cant risk clearing the cache partition too. what if it formats or deletes something.

sva999

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Best fix I've seen so far:
When connecting to PC, you'll get a notification that says 'charging with USB'. Tap the notification to get more options, then select Transfer data. You'll have to do this every time you connect.

JohnNorthey

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
A very frustrating problem. Switching the USB settings to just allow access doesn't work (SDCard comes up blank - no files or anything but does say how much space is used/available). Did the cache wipe (took a long time) and still no luck. Bloody piece of junk, doesn't have an easy way to access the SD card either.

JohnNorthey

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Argh. Finally found where the card was hiding. Needed that tiny tool they give you to pop it open (I suspect a needle would work too) at the top of the phone (my phone case hid it). Luckily my tablet works as a micro SD card reader too.

Peter Holt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I found this answer on another forum and it worked for me.

I had the same problem with my Moto G 2015 after upgrading to MM. On the Phone it would see the card and I could view all my files (mostly photos). But after connecting on a USB link to my computer, it would see the SDcard, but not show any files.

I turned off the Moto G Phone, took out the SDCard, and booted up. Then I turned off the Moto G Phone again, put the SDCard back in, and booted up again. Voila! I can now see the files on the SDcard.

Hope this helps!

dsripad

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the last suggestion of switch off ->remove SD card->switch on->switch off->insert SD card->switch on - worked for me. Of course as per other suggestions I did clear the cache partition which by itself did not work. Looks like removing and inserting the SD card rebuilds the cache all over again.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC