Why is it that Google Gets to Control my Android for 72 Hours? This is reduclious.

A

AC Question

If you change your Google account (e.g., password), you cannot use this Google account to unlock the phone within 72 hours. This is another chained security measure for compromised Google account together with stolen phones.

The 72-hour duration will start from the time you make changes to your Google account.

How do I overcome this issue. Also the S6 Edge + is WAY to easy to factory reset.
I did it when taking of a speck cover and now I am locked out of using my phone for 3 Days.
Google should not have this power... How do I opt out?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can't overcome this security feature. It's there for a reason. The 72 hour period is if you change your password and then want to factory reset the phone, as described in the support page:

"Important: If you reset your Google account password and need to do a factory reset, you need to wait 72 hours after changing your password to reset your device. For security purposes, you can't use an account if the password was changed within 72 hours to set up the device after reset. Learn how to reset your Nexus, Google Play edition, orAndroid One device to factory settings."

I would much prefer Google shoring up the security on my device, rather than letting a thief steal my phone and easily do a factory reset to make it their own.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also the S6 Edge + is WAY to easy to factory reset.
I did it when taking of a speck cover and now I am locked out of using my phone for 3 Days.

Just curious--how did this happen? Was it a hardware button factory reset you did by accident? That would require you to do a pretty elaborate sequence of button presses as described here: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21001

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Will that bypass the 72 hr rule from Google? I would've thought that it couldn't be bypassed.

I don't see that option on my 6P. Is it specific to the S6 line?

You can't bypass it but, part of the op question was how to opt out, and doing so will opt out on other devices or in the future (once the 72 hours is up on this device)