Why is it so difficult to transfer from phone memory to external memory card?

A

AC Question

I have so much room on my external memory card, yet no way of transferring my mass amount of data, apps and others onto it. I have managed to transfer some but it really limits me and does not give me the option to transfer most of my app data. Very annoying as it means I don't have enough storage to even upload my emails, meaning I just have to go through and delete some photos on the fly in order to enable the email to upload. I have tried plugging it in to the computer and transferred all of my pictures across but it does not seem to affect the phone storage much at all.

It is doing my head in. Help!!

Thanks
Em

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The external card used to be considered an external device, now it's part of the file system. That means that only apps with permission to write to a folder can put files into it. So if you create a folder with a file manager - for use by another app - it won't work.

If the device is rooted, an app like NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root) will add a couple of lines to a system file to let the SD card be used the way it used to be. (And, if you know Linux, you can just open /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml, find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission and add an additional group definition: <group gid=”media_rw” />, which is what the apps do.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton