Data Transmission Disable Bypass?

A

AC Question

Is it possible for applications to bypass Data Transmission switch and Roaming block?
I have been traveling abroad recently and even though I have Roaming Data disabled and Data Transmission disabled in the system I still got charged for data transmission.
I have travelled with it before last two trips and have not seen the problem.
Since I had similar situation last time I was traveling, I made sure that those settings are off couple of times over the course of the trip.
When I check data usage (Settings -> Data Usage) for that period is practically zero, but there are some Google apps listed for that period: Internet, Kids Mode, Youtube, Smart Remote, and Google Movies BUT they all list 0kB for usage and I'm not using neither KidsMode nor Smart Remote.
It does not look like operator related since I got charges from several countries.
Any ideas what might be going on? I will file a complaint for the charges with my operator (not counting on positive response there), but I still would like to use my phone when travelling, but if blocking data transmission is not enough to prevent roaming charges - what is?
For reference my phone is European Galaxy S5, running Stock, not rooted, 4.4.2 Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze