Doesn't any body know?

A

AC Question

I've looked at the thread I started last Friday and it looks like I've come to a dead end. I asked how to enable voice recognition on my Medion E4503. There have been no replies. Furthermore, there are hardly any replies to other questions relating to voice recognition. Is this feature, perhaps, a waste of time and resources? Medion tell me that there is no facility for it on this phone. It has a microphone doesn't it?! surely all it needs is a bit of software and a tweak to the OS. Any views on this?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I read that thread but decided not to post because you didn't "specifically" state what you're looking for. Simply stating "voice recognition" didn't tell me anything... like what you wanted to do. According to the Medion website, the photos show the phone with the Google Search bar with a microphone on the home screen. This would lead me to believe that there must be some kind of voice settings on your phone and perhaps you can't find them, or Medion is BS-ing their customers. If Medion told you there is no facility for voice on your phone, then you probably need to talk to them about false advertising. Again, I don't even know what you're looking to do and if Google voice isn't it, then I have no idea.

Tonypickering

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello Nahoku
I'm sorry to cause confusion I'm new to forums and thought I was logged in, in which case you might have seen my original thread. But you've got the general gist of it. However, I'm not a complete novice having been in IT for many years but not working with Android. So, the problem is the phone has a microphone otherwise it wouldn't work as a phone, would it? The nearest thing to it in the settings is text-to-speech. I thought I'd try voice dialling to see how effective it is. I have even not yet been successful at downloading a program to do it. I'm a bit deaf so using the phone in the car doesn't really work well for me and I will normally stop to use it even though I have a Bluetooth headset. But if it worked well I might make use of it. You don't know 'til you try it, do you?
Regards
tony

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I'm still not sure what you're looking for. You explain you're a little deaf and you can't hear well on your Bluetooth headset so you have to stop the car. Then you say you want to try voice dialing. This confuses me because I'm thinking... What has voice dialing have to do with hearing? It also makes me think... What would voice dialing solve if you still can't hear without stopping the car?

I know it must seem weird to you because you think you're explaining yourself, but you're not. Its just more confusion. If it were me and I was looking for an app to voice dial, I would say "I'm looking for an app that would allow me to say "call Jane" and the phone would dial Jane's phone number". Just from that one sentence, you would at least know what I'm looking for and what the app has to do.

There are quite a few apps on Playstore for voice dialing (if that's all you're looking for). Beyond that, I don't know if they'll work on your phone, I don't know what you've tried, what failures you've seen, and/or why they don't work.

Reading the manual on your phone, it doesn't appear to be very capable in doing much as a smart phone. The price itself leads me to believe it's been built as a limited device and is probably why Medion says it doesn't have the facility to do what you want it to do. In addition, text-speech only means the device can create a synthesized voice to read what's on the screen and voice it to you so you can hear it. It doesn't work the other way around where it can be used by you talking to the phone and making it do things.

Last edited:

Tonypickering

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
OK let's try to simplify things so that you will not be confused. My phone has no settings at all for voice recognition. Voice recognition does not exist. Perhaps it's a ROM issue.
Forget about deafness that's a safety while driving issue.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
If you look at the manual, page 39 and 40, item #9 says voice entry (pointing at the mic on the Google search bar). What happens if you tap the microphone? If nothing happens, then your phone is probably not equipped. Could be a ROM issue. Unless you can download an app to help you I don't think you can do anything unless you take it up with the manufacture for falsely advertising the capability shown on those pages... or buy a more advanced phone.

You still haven't mentioned what you tried, what failures you've experienced. What did the apps do when you tried to use them? Did they install, did they launch, were there any notifications?

Tonypickering

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I've been through all the settings methodically and there is nothing at all for speech recognition. I tried installing about three different apps but none of them would install. I did mention it being a ROM issue which you appear to agree with. It is clear to me that this feature is not available. Don't get me wrong; I'm not heartbroken about it. There are only about five people who even know my phone number, and that includes me. This phone is cheap but it does what I want. Navigation works well! But then, I live on the Isle of Man. I know the way to the hospital from any part of it. I certainly have no wish to waste your time further as I'm sure that you have plenty of better things to do. Thank you very much for your assistance.