Do ALL apps clog memory? If not, how do I check?

whatever61

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
My question is the following:

Assuming I have lots of free space on my SD card, just by installing lots of apps, will that clog my RAM and will make my phone slower?

So in other words, do ALL apps clog RAM (even if a little bit) or some just sitting there quietly, unless you launch them? If not all, then how can i check which one's do?
I am already using Greenify that shows me which apps are currently loaded and I can hibernate them from there. Can I assume that if I don't ever see an app in Greenify then it doesn't clog my RAM at all?

Thanks

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Most apps will have some process running in the background, usually for internet connection purposes (like to check for messages, emails, etc). But you don't really need to hibernate or kill any of them unless you know that they're causing issues or unnecessary battery drain *cough* Facebook *cough*

whatever61

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Most apps will have some process running in the background, usually for internet connection purposes (like to check for messages, emails, etc). But you don't really need to hibernate or kill any of them unless you know that they're causing issues or unnecessary battery drain *cough* Facebook *cough*

Ok, thanks.

Based on that 2 questions:

1. Why most apps would need an internet connection? most apps do not need to check messages and etc., most apps are services that run when you need them. Ok, we might have different apps installed, so most of YOUR apps might be running in the background, but still it's a bit of a weird statement :) or maybe I misunderstood it?
Example of an app: LEARN EXCEL. so when I open it, it just opens some pages with text.

2. So in other words, they might have a process running, but that would not cause any battery drain nor slow down my android if they are well built? and if I would have 1000 apps that would create these processes that still would be the case? (unless it's *cough* Facebook, which is known to make a drain battery..)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, thanks.

Based on that 2 questions:

1. Why most apps would need an internet connection? most apps do not need to check messages and etc., most apps are services that run when you need them. Ok, we might have different apps installed, so most of YOUR apps might be running in the background, but still it's a bit of a weird statement :) or maybe I misunderstood it?
Example of an app: LEARN EXCEL. so when I open it, it just opens some pages with text.

2. So in other words, they might have a process running, but that would not cause any battery drain nor slow down my android? and if I would have 1000 apps that would create these processes that still would be the case? (unless it's *cough* Facebook, which is known to make a drain battery..)

Sorry, that was just an example. I'm sure there are other reasons why they'd have a process running I just can't think of any off the top of my head. But like Golfdriver said, you really don't need to worry about RAM. There are always hundreds of things running quietly in the background with minimal to no impact on performance or battery. Unless you KNOW something is wrong with your battery or performance, there's really no need to micromanage things IMO. Too much work for diminishing returns

whatever61

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do ALL apps clog memory? If not, how to check?

Welcome to the forums. Something to keep in mind is this: Android handles RAM a lot differently than a Windows desktop does. Android self manages RAM so that whatever was the least used gets removed.

Yes, i know that.
But I also know that some apps create wakelocks problems, drain battery faster because they do lots of background actions and etc.
Basically, what I am trying to find out is if I can keep rarely used apps or should I remove them completely (if free space is not an issue).

Ideally, I would want to check if these apps create anything that runs in the background, if not, then I see no harm in keeping them..

whatever61

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, that was just an example. I'm sure there are other reasons why they'd have a process running I just can't think of any off the top of my head. But like Golfdriver said, you really don't need to worry about RAM. There are always hundreds of things running quietly in the background with minimal to no impact on performance or battery. Unless you KNOW something is wrong with your battery or performance, there's really no need to micromanage things IMO. Too much work for diminishing returns

Well, I find it fun to dig in sometimes and sometimes I am just bored :)
So, is there a way to check the processes that every app creates in the background and let's say the amount of data it sent and things like that?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, I find it fun to dig in sometimes and sometimes I am just bored :)
So, is there a way to check the processes that every app creates in the background and let's say the amount of data it sent and things like that?

Depends on the phone. On mine I can go to settings > application manager > running and see everything that's currently active.
For data info, you'd have to go to settings > data usage

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do ALL apps clog memory? If not, how to check?

But I also know that some apps create wakelocks problems, drain battery faster because they do lots of background actions and etc.

True, but at the same time, you would know if an app has a wakelock. As in, you charge your phone more often than normally. Sometimes a reboot fixes them. As long as you exit the app, it should not still be awake (aside from services like Gmail). If it is, there is a problem with the app itself (I'm looking at you, Facebook).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay