How to remove invasive 'Opt Out' Pop Ups?

A

AC Question

Hi fellow techies! As of yesterday, I starting having a problem with what appears to be pop ups showing up randomly on my phone. It is a tiny rectangle that's about 6×1 in cm and has either a small gray x in the top right corner or a gray 'close' option, with an opt out option. It is not limited to popping up only when on a browser. It pops up even in apps and on my home screen, when all apps are closed. Tried Avast antivirus along with Advanced Mobile Care, Airpush detector, and Stopbadapp in hopes of identifying it and removing it, but to no avail...it still persists. I also opted out of ads on Google thinking that was it. Any idea what is causing this? Is it a form of Malware or Adware? How can I get rid of it?

Ampedidkfa

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Suffering from the same thing. I've tried cmblock, Norton's, push detector, addonsdetecter, and something else to no avail. I've also opted out of the ads on Google. I've read this issue happened before with premium wallpapers HD. I don't have that on my phone, and to my knowledge never have. I have read that similar things have happened after app updates. I just had a whole slew of them update it could be any one of them. Please help

lowlyfme

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 2. It just started yesterday. I didn't have any new apps, but deleted any I had used within the last 2 weeks and redid virus scans. Still nada.

Ampedidkfa, Have you tried clicking on one of the ads and holding until the source of the link comes up. Idk much about computers or phones, but when I did this, I've noticed there is doubleclick in the link, which if I'm not mistaken is a form of malware/virus. I still haven't found an app to remove it...but this virus sounds like what we're experiencing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ampedidkfa

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
It takes me to tracker.PRC.something. when I googled it yesterday it said the culprit was live wallpapers HD. I've never had the app. There were claims also that people had the app for a while with no ads. They thought it might have had to do with an update

ElHacka

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Also having the same issue. I did a factory reset recently and reinstalled all my previous apps. Some days later, I start seeing a small rectangular box keeps popping up on my screens, in apps and on the home screen, just as described, with OptOut written below. Downloaded all the malware removers I can get my hands on but no avail.

rttkw

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone figured this out yet? I too am having the same problems. I've used various antivirus programs, Norton is installed on the device. My google account is opted out of adds. I've done a factory reset. Can't get rid of this thing.

Tiny OptOut in bottom corner and every few minutes an add pops up even if all apps are closed. It is not app specific.

Acer Iconia B1-770
Android 5.0.1

Sardaukar857

Nov 17, 2017
Visit site
Anyone figure this out yet? It showed up on my phone 1-2 weeks ago. I really want to get rid of it because it is obnoxious and I know some smarmy and intrusive advertising company is making money off of my phone with it.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I’ve still had no feedback about my Safe Mode suggestion in the 20 months of having suggested it, so I can’t go any further. That’s what I’d still suggest first.
Also, @Charlie24000000 figured it out 6 months ago, one possible fix at least.

Tdubcowboy

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Are you suggesting to try I'm Safe Mode and see if the opt-out ads stop? Then what would you suggest? I will give it a shot, this garbage has taken over my phone with stupid ads at random times. If charlie2000 has the correct answer why is it just starting when I have been signed I to Google for years, literally.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Safe Mode would be a good place to start. By disabling third-party apps, it tells you whether one of those is causing the trouble. My suggestion in that case would be to get rid of it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
opting out is just a way for the sender to find out if the popup got to a real device. If you opt out in a popup that came by email, you verified your email address. If you opt out of a popup that came via your IP address, you just verified that there's a computer at that address. Etc. Don't opt out, just hit the back button to get out of the popup.

MRe Twitch

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
Anyone figured this out yet? As in a proper fix not a work around (like using safe mode, sorry that's not a fix, that's a temp work around). Tried a bunch of antivirus and anti-malware apps but still happening. The ads are not coming from google so changing the Google settings in the phone setting does nothing. I'm on a Google pixel xl

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyone figured this out yet? As in a proper fix not a work around (like using safe mode, sorry that's not a fix, that's a temp work around). Tried a bunch of antivirus and anti-malware apps but still happening. The ads are not coming from google so changing the Google settings in the phone setting does nothing. I'm on a Google pixel xl
The point about Safe Mode is that serves as a diagnostic. If the trouble stops, you then have to find the third-party app responsible and deal with it appropriately. You're not meant to just stay in Safe Mode.
If the trouble doesn't stop, then a third-party app is not responsible.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01