My husbands Galaxy S3 was run over at least once yesterday. Totally crushed! We'd backed it up on Kies about 10 days ago. I was initially thinking we'd move him to Samsung S4 or S5 or S6 but then I wondered about a different brand. I assume that staying within the Samsung line it would be easy to restore from the kies backup, but could we do that if we moved to another brand of Android?

He's not a power user at all. Really needs a reliable phone, email, text, calendar device that can also handle some apps and occasional internet browsing. A clean, easy to use interface would be nice for him too. (Oh, we're on Consumer Cellular so it needs to be AT&T compatible but unlocked.)

Any suggestions?
    04-01-2016 08:34 PM
    Welcome to Android Central.

Did he like his S3? If so, he might want to stay with Samsung. What other brands have you considered?

Is there any price range you are considering?
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    04-01-2016 08:36 PM
    Hi and Welcome to Android Central Forums!

You've come to the right place for that kind of advice, for sure. I'll add my two cents by saying, he should stick to what he's accustomed to, in the S Model phones. I would not bother with earlier versions of the S model., just get the S6, he'll love it, in my opinion.

Hope this helps! And please register in our forums, its FREE & EASY!!

Chris
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-01-2016 08:36 PM
    This was my question, it just too me a while to figure out how to login again. :-) He did like his S3 - occasional frustration with it, but overall content. We'd wondered about a Motorola because he's really liked his old Motorola flip-phone (yes, I do realize that's comparing apples to oranges). That's why my questions about restoring from Kies to a non Samsung brand. Plus, Consumer Cellular has 2 Motorola phones the Moto E and Moto G for great prices. We're not looking for the newest tech, reliable is more important. Price range? We'd like to stay below $300 or less if possible.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    04-01-2016 09:06 PM
    You should be able to pick up an S5 for under $300 from Ebay. Look for someone that has a lot of Selling Experience before you do. Ratings aren't everything. Read the Ratings.
    04-01-2016 09:17 PM
    Thanks everyone! We decided to check Ebay and found a one day sale for an S5 for less than $300 (Thanks Matt Kaeppel!)

Does anyone have any advice for when it arrives and we try to restore his data from the Kies backup? Since the phones won't be the same will I run into any problems?
    04-01-2016 11:05 PM
    When Kies works, it restores pretty much everything.
    04-01-2016 11:59 PM
    I could be wrong, but I don't think KIES is used anymore, I think Smart Switch is what replaced it. Either way great programs. http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=S2r9wmfu
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2016 04:42 AM