Battery drain due to messaging service

A

AC Question

Already asked this on the Sony forum but still unable to figure out what the problem is. I have a sony z5c with MM installed. Since the update there is a battery drain due to messaging service.
After a software repair the problem seemed to have been resolved but it was not.
At this moment I only have Whatsapp installed no other apps. They say it is beacuse of Whatsapp but then the whole world should have this problem, there must be something else.

The battery drain on messaging service about 54% and you also see a lot of awake time insteda of doze/sleep.
Battery monitoring app doesn't reveal any app that might be the problem. Whatsapp only took 0,3% of the battery for example.
Anybody here knows what the this problem might be?

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi and Welcome to Android Central Forums!

Have you tried Wiping the Partition Cache, through recovery? If you did, then I would suggest looking into doing a Full Factory Reset of your device. You can read throughout the forums, that MM has caused a lot of issues, that are almost, always, resolved by doing Factory Reset. I know this option is not the most liked; but if you look around for apps like, Helium, to which backs up everything, there is really no reason to not do it.

I, personally, do a factory reset, 100% of the time after a major upgrade like MM, no exceptions, but, that's just me.

Hope this helps!

Chris

melkie

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the reply to my question. As I said I already did a software repair that is basically a format and install. So a factory reset would not help me with this.
Anymore suggestions or maybe apps that I can use to see better what could be the culprit here.

melkie

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Already using gsam but it not showing me anything that is related to that service. Actually gsam is using the most (logical) then goog play for 0.4 % then whatsapp with 0,3 % so actually no app.
Whats I have seen is that this messaging service is related to rich communicatons services. My provider uses this in his rom but I declined it and deleted it. Nothing more I can find about this rich communications. Maybe this informations helps?

BonJonHovi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem with my sony z3 compact. Messaging service is using at least 25% of battery each day, even on days where I have sent and received very few if any messages. I think it may be to do with Whatsapp, I'm going to try uninstalling it tomorrow, or maybe turning off Auto sync, to see if that has an effect.

Did you find a solution?

melkie

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
It is not Whatsapp for sure, messaging service only has todo with sms/mms service. Yes, I solved my problem and also on the phone of my boyfriend (also a z3).
For mine phone and his it waa the Vodafone improved sms app. It is a sneaky one, so first is do you have Vodafone? If not, I did a lot of trial and error to solve this so I maybe have a other solution for you.

melkie

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
No worries there. It is actually not a Vodafone app. What I did first is:

- Go to the stock messaging app (SMS)
- Right top, click on the 3 dots and hit settings
- Go to the option: default SMS app and make sure that: Messaging is default
- Scroll down to the options for: Chat Service and disable everything including the chat service itself
- Check your installed apps and uninstall (if you don't use is) everything that is Vodafone related except that app you can use to check your subscription and so on.
- Reboot the phone.

Wait for next battery cycle to see if this solved the battery drain :)