Marshmallow update for StraightTalk/Tracfone

A

AC Question

It is a Verizon phone that has been switched to straighttalk which is owned by Tracfone. When will we be able to update from lollipop to marshmallow?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? In general, a phone needs to be on its original network in order to receive an official system update. Some phone manufacturers allow you to update the system manually using a computer program (like Samsung Smart Switch or LG Bridge).

JDoggMcSquishy86

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
It was made by verizon and when i activated it said welcome to verizon, but the service is actually through straighttalk which is owned by tracphone. I can do the *22890 over the air programming but nothing happens. When I check software update it says sorry unavailable. It is a SM-S906L

Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to root! And I have no computer! This should be fun! Lol

Matthew Lininger

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? In general, a phone needs to be on its original network in order to receive an official system update. Some phone manufacturers allow you to update the system manually using a computer program (like Samsung Smart Switch or LG Bridge).

I have the LG G4 from the att gsm network on straight talk with Android 5.1 lollipop. How can I update to Android 6.0 marshmallow? Don't have a computer and the LG bridge only lets me transfer data from old phones to mine. Really need to update to marshmallow. If I would take my straight talk SIM out and put the att one in and go to a Wi-Fi area and update to 6.0 would that work and continue working after I put the straight talk SIM back in?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The AT&T SIM would still have to be activated on the AT&T network, I think. You could consider getting a prepaid AT&T SIM for the cheapest plan. Plug it in, then use wi-fi to see if you get the update.

AnnaMoon

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the same situation. My phone was originally used on the Verizon network, but is now being used on Straight Talk. Your note piqued my interest.. from what I've read Smart Switch is to move from an old phone to a new phone. Are you saying we can use Smart Switch to update our current phones on Straight Talk service to the Marshmallow OS?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, but the most I can do is point to that link, since I don't have direct experience with Smart Switch myself. Smart Switch doesn't always work to update the firmware, especially with certain carrier-specific models. Another way to try to update is using Odin, but this is a little more involved: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

A12K4NGEL

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I know that s907vl firmware will work to get on mm. Everything seems to be running smoothly but my phone isn't activated so I make no guarantees about data. The only problem I've had is that Odin won't let me flash back to s906l. So if you upgrade you canto go back and currently there's not a root method or twrp for s907vl but there is for s906l. If you do flash s907vl you do it at you own risk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol