Do I need partition my SD card?

A

AC Question

I have HP 7 Plus G2 tablet with 4.4.2 KitKat. It has 4 Mb internal memory and I installed 16 Mb SD card. I wanted to move some apps to SD card using Move2SD app but had a message that "no need to move sd card share the same disk with os".I started to download apps and now I have more then 7 Mb used on SD card in addition to still 760 Mb available in internal memory.
My question is - should I have made partitioning on SD card before downloading apps? Does it mean that my apps when downloaded decide themselves (from the developer) what to move to SD and what should stay in internal memory? Does it mean that when 760 Mb is exhausted won't be able to load more even if SD card is still has enough memory?
Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the tablet rooted or unrooted?

In general, the answer is no--partitioning is not needed nor is it helpful. Certain apps will automatically start using the SD card to store certain data. 7 MB is very minimal usage of the SD card.

Yuger

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Have you ever found the solution to your question about partitioning or rooting HP 7 G2 tablet? My with 32 G SD card and 26 G there free has low space for applications so I need to uninstall some to get new in.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "no need to move sd card share the same disk with os" message means that the card is formatted as internal, so you don't have an SD card, you have "storage" which combines the internal and external space. You couldn't partition the card if you wanted to.

@Yuger, apps "moved" to the SD card aren't really. Only small pieces of them are, and pointers are left in internal storage pointing to where on the card each piece is - so you usually don't save much internal space.

Which is why Marshmallow introduced the "internal SD card", so apps would install to the card. (It's for phones too small to install much these days - a few apps and an 8GB phone is full.) You could back up every app "moved" to the card (move them back to internal storage - one at a time if you have to), format the card as "internal", then reinstall the apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're stuck on KitKat (I am deliberately - I don't like Lollipop and my phone wasn't updated further), you're basically stuck with the internal storage amount. (Which is one reason a lot of people get new phones every couple of years - apps keep getting larger, but a phone doesn't.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech