Is there any way to completely restore and unroot with a computer?

A

AC Question

So here's the entire backstory to this nightmare.

A few weeks ago I accidentally left my flashlight on overnight, when I woke up in the morning my screen was blank, but all the audio still worked, and it even received calls and vibrated for notifications. When I took it into the T-mobile store the guy simply turned up the brightness so I thought nothing of it. The next morning the black screen was back, I tried turning up the brightness like he did but it didn't work, and I noticed a flickering bar of light near the top of the screen when I pressed the power button. I took it into the T-mobile store and explained my situation, and the technician there said I should get a warranty exchange. I was sure it was just some little glitch so I decided to try and tough it out.

After that I could press my power button a few times until the flicker went away and my phone worked fine for an hour or two at a time, before the black screen and flicker came back and I had to sit and spam the power key again to get it back on. I also noticed turning down the brightness all the way made my screen glitch out and wildly flash green and white. I tried almost every fix I could think of, and researched everywhere about it, and factory reset my phone several times, and I haven't been able to fix the issue. Eventually a few minutes of pressing the power key became hours, and now it simply wont turn on and stop flickering at all.

I have since received my warranty exchange phone, and all I need to do is send it back HOWEVER. I want to wipe my old phone, including the root and all my personal data. I know doing this probably won't help the warranty void but I still want to do it for peace of mind. If there is any way to avoid the $400 charge for a glitch that is clearly a hardware issue that has nothing to do with me, since I have never dropped my phone or gotten liquid anywhere near it, I will try it.

Shujinko

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what phone you have but if you have a Samsung listen to my instructions carefully.

1. Download Samsung Smartswitch onto your computer.

2. Make sure you know the phones model and serial number.

3. On Smartswitch go to emergency recovery mode on the upper left on the window.

4. Follow all the prompts from Smartswitch from there and the phone will be completely wiped and new.

P.S. It takes a while to download them. It took me 3 hours+ on my Galaxy S7. Hope this helps you.

Posted via the Android Central App

Creeq

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I've tried both Smartswitch and Kies 3, both of them say that my SM-G900T3 'Does not support initilization.'
I know for a fact that the S5 does support it, and is supported by Kies 3, as i've done it before.

For some reason the new update of Kies 3 will not support rooted phones, and i'm assuming Smartswitch does the same thing.
I believe that if the Knox counter has been tripped, then they automatically refuse the update.

dzgsrtyrty.png

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I cannot see my phone screen to turn on USB deugging and use a third party program, or the TWRP recovery. I'm afraid of flashing the factory ROM using odin, because i'm not sure if it would brick my phone or not, an I have no real way of knowing since the screen wont turn on.

Shujinko

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I bricked my phone and had a FRP (factory recovery protection) lock and I was able to restore my phone properly with SmartSwitch and my phone was rooted previously before the brick.

I suggest you contact Samsung and tell them about the problem with SmartSwitch but don't tell them you rooted your phone.
I would say to use to flash the ROM as the last resort.

If I help you, do the same for ten others and tell them as well. This is how we get better together.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan