How to remove "trending searches" from Google search bar on 5.1

A

AC Question

When selecting the Google search bar on the home screen, a list of trending searches appear. Is there any way to remove these? Moto X 2014, 5.1.

Steven Hager

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
In short, no. This is a feature that was initially just being tested on a number of phones, starting as far back as January. Now it appears to have been implemented on all devices. Here is a link to a Google support forum where a lot of people have been complaining about it:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/websearch/FfSE0mP1qyo;context-place=forum/websearch

The only response from a Google employee has been something along the lines of, "We're trying to work out this error on your device. Could you offer more details?" There were no responses after that. The employee does not seem to understand that this is an automatic feature which google is applying to all phones, and people are asking that the feature be removed. Considering that the public reaction to the new feature has ranged from, "Whatever," to, "Please get rid of this. I hate it," (i.e. there's no positive reaction) you would think google would respond more quickly and allow people to turn it off.

The only way to avoid it is by uninstalling the search bar and pulling up the Google search page in Chrome or another Web browser.

Myamusinglife

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
some months later - and thank you!

I don't know how this got turned ON but thankfully I found your reply here and discovered how to turn it OFF.

too bad this doesn't turn off all the rest of my life issues. LOL.

thanks!

BobHas

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
Open Google In top left corner tap until your name or setting icon appears. Tap again window opens, scan down to option for "Trending" slide to shut. Mission accomplished.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2