Keyboard gone haywire on Note 3 when I type a message on Facebook, Messages or an Email - help!

A

AC Question

When I type a message in say facebook or messages, or an email, everything starts off OK but then goes haywire - completely different letters come up to what I've typed!
It's very 'juddery' too as I type, and a blue line shows up and is framing the whole edges of the screen. I have to go back a few times then I can eventually delete the rubbish and finish off, but it still happens next time - very frustrating!
The only thing different I've done over the past few days is link a Smartwatch to the phone (I was sent one to review), and it's still happening even though I've not got that paired with it for now, just in case it was anything to do with that - I think it must be. I changed from the standard Samsung Keyboard last night to Swiftkey, thinking that one may be OK but the same thing happens.
Any help appreciated - I'm not that 'tech savvy' so anything simple I could do?
Thank you.
Sue

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you doing this while plugged in? Try unplugging the device and typing. For some reason cables can short in a way that causes touch input to act screwy. If it's not only happening when your plugged in clean the screen. Dirty screens can also cause bad input.

VidJunky posted via the HTC M9

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you doing this while plugged in? Try unplugging the device and typing. For some reason cables can short in a way that causes touch input to act screwy. If it's not only happening when your plugged in clean the screen. Dirty screens can also cause bad input.

Agreed. Had this happen to me before.

Brryssn

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Trying this reply on my phone and same thing is happening so if gobbledegook shows up apologies! Phone not plugged in. Will try cleaning screen/new screen protector but if anyone has any more ideas I would appreciate it. The blue border showing up as it goes haywire is puzzling me! That took a few goes to type by the way...:)

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Screen protector? The plot thickens. You replaced it? The way your comment is worded. Unplugged, clean screen, new screen protector? Is this a new brand of screen protector? Still doesn't explain this blue line you describe... probably doesn't show up on a screen shot, so can you take a photo and post it with your next comment? New screen protector but no protector? Is it only while typing? Nothing else is screwy? App's opening randomly, during the web is difficult, nothing like that?

Brryssn

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
It's had a screen protector on since I bought the phone - so two years - but I've now taken that off anyway, just to see if it made any difference but it's still happening. Even trying to alter a time on one of my calendar memos it happens - seems to 'jump' and go to a different type of screen, and that's when the blue 'frame' appears. When I type anything, I can sometimes get as far as a few sentences before this happens, but other times just a couple of words. I have to go back on my phone a couple of times to get to rid of the screen with the blue frame, and then I can delete all the random letters that have appeared and finish my messages, emails etc. I'm on the desktop now as I have given up! The attached screenshot shows the blue frame - I had started a message to my daughter - if I had carried on random letters would have come up. I've noticed it seems to be letters from the line below I'm actually typing that pop up. This happens on both the Samsung keyboard and SwiftKey one btw. Could it be something to do with the screen rather than the keyboard, or the inner workings of the phone itself? No idea about these techy things as you can tell! Any help appreciated as I need my phone for my job. I may have to take it in somewhere later to be checked out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-20-08-57-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-20-08-57-14.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well the boarder around the whole screen is unusual. It almost looks like it's intentional... Anyway with the random letter being the one below your intended target has me thinking calibration. In some keyboards there are tools to calibrate the touch input. You would have to look at the settings by going into language and keyboards selecting your input method and then seeing what settings you have for that keyboard. Your device may also have some calibration settings but on my HTC I can only calibrate the g sensor and not the screen.

As for something internal, if your device took a sharp rap on one of the sides or a corner it could have loosened the cable connecting your digitizer but if your digitizer was the issue typing wouldn't be the only thing you'd notice issues with. In situations like that the whole top or bottom would be unresponsive or other things would be going haywire. If your processor was damaged like say because of overheating or something when you used the phone it might start out ok and then as it began to work and heat up things would probably get worse and worse which could also explain the blue boarder. This doesn't have any of the other tell tell signs of that so probably not. It's not contained to one app so not likely an app issue. I can't see it being a resource issue, like low RAM due to thousands of SMS or an overloaded CPU.

Taking it in to your provider may not be a bad idea in this case. You could try another keyboard just to see if it's the keyboard app that's the problem.

Brryssn

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I ended up doing a factory reset, as after taking it in to a local phone shop they were as perplexed as me! They checked it over and said the same as you - check the screen protector, case etc, but that it could possibly have had something to do with pairing the Smartwatch to it as it only happened after that - but they weren't sure. I'm not using that watch now anyway (it was only a cheap one that I was sent to review) and my feeling is it was something to do with that, so it was only used for a few days and not used since the phone got knackered!

I backed everything up, so now busy putting other stuff back on that I use often. It seemed to have sorted it out - but when I go into my calendar and say change the time of an appointment - it goes a bit weird again and the blue frame shows up again, but fingers crossed typing messages, emails etc seem to be OK so far! I'll just have to see how it goes - maybe it's time for a new one! It's two years old and it doesn't owe me anything - it's well used. I love the Note 3 though......will have to look at similar ones I think as I like the size of this. Thank you so much anyway for all your help - very much appreciated!
Sue :)

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep the smart watch in mind. Prior to going all the way did you ever try just breaking the connection, or forgetting it? I'm not familiar with the watches yet so forgive my terminology. That will have to be another of my go-to questions as I never think of it and people rarely volunteer enough information to help figure out their issue. Wish I'd been more help. Next time, right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995