I having trouble deleting photos in my camera folder from my DCIM folder but every time I try to delete the delete fails. How can I permanently delete them from my phone?
    04-23-2016 06:19 PM
    How are you doing this, file manager, gallery, photos app, pc? Some methods work better than others for bulk deletion. Probably the fastest and easiest way is with a pc tether. Plug into the pc, open and unlock the phone. Navigate to the phone memory with the pc file explorer, then to the camera, then the DCIM folder and there you'll usually find 2 folders, one will have a number. Any pics that you've taken will be there. Other folders may exist in other folders so you can look around. If you're using Windows 7 or higher you can type type:jpg in the search and have all your photos of that type displayed.

You may have a file manager preloaded on your device if not there are several good ones at the PS. Astro, ES file explorer just to name 2. Then it's kinda the same process as mentioned above. Your gallery app may allow you to delete 20 30 maybe even 50 or 100 pics at a time but may fail if you attempt 200 500 1000 pics at once. Most file explorers can handle higher volume but still may have issues with really big volumes.

The photo app won't allow you to delete pics from certain sources and will defer you to a source closer to the source. If you select to delete with the photos app and choose multiple sources it will likely fail and may or may not say why it failed.

VidJunky posted via the HTC M9
    04-23-2016 06:59 PM
    Also, if the photos are synced, they'll resync to the phone after you delete them from the phone.
    04-24-2016 05:31 PM
    Also, if the photos are synced, they'll resync to the phone after you delete them from the phone.
    What app does this? G+ allows you to delete them from your phone and still be accessed thru the photos app or G+ without putting them back on your device.

04-25-2016 09:40 PM
    What app does this? G+ allows you to delete them from your phone and still be accessed thru the photos app or G+ without putting them back on your device.

I think that's what Rukbat is getting at. If people see the same photo showing up in Google Photos (or on a Samsung phone in the Gallery, as a "Picasa" photo), they often think the photo is still locally saved, as opposed to being only in the cloud.
    04-26-2016 04:33 PM
    I think that's what Rukbat is getting at. If people see the same photo showing up in Google Photos (or on a Samsung phone in the Gallery, as a "Picasa" photo), they often think the photo is still locally saved, as opposed to being only in the cloud.
    Without mentioning that the photos are no longer on the device but rather in the cloud somewhere could lead to the photo being deleted permanently as people try to delete not only from their device but also from the cloud when it's still viewable. There was a past not that long ago where the OP was deleting photos from the all photos album and they were disappearing from the folder they were actually in, thinking they were deleting duplicates of photos.

B. Diddy likes this.
    04-27-2016 06:26 AM
    Excellent point. This is why I like the option in the Google Photos app to free up space on the device. It will know which photos have been backed up, and delete only the locally stored file, keeping the cloud copies intact.
    04-27-2016 11:27 PM