I keep reading about the horrors of bad cables melting Nexus devices. I want to make sure I really understand the risks and what I need to pay attention to.

- the cable only really matters when connecting to USB devices because it with try to draw more power than the device can support.

-the risk is low on a car charger or home charger because the output is fixed by not the Nexus but the charging device.

Therefore I don't have to worry as much about car charger to type c adapters or AC adapters... The main rush where I need to be cautious is with USB a to USB c.

Is that a correct assessment? I know some quick chargers have problems but for the most part I think my assessment is right I just want to confirm it.
    04-24-2016 07:44 AM
    The phone won't melt, the charger is the device at risk of melting as the phone will try to pull more power from it than it is rated to supply. Here are a couple links for some reading on the matter.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...out-there.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...-new-post.html

It's perfectly safe to use a USB-A charger with a USB-C device, provided the cable you use meets the proper USB-C resistor spec.
    04-24-2016 08:09 AM
    - the cable only really matters when connecting to USB devices because it with try to draw more power than the device can support.
    Cables don't draw power, they carry the power the load is drawing.

-the risk is low on a car charger or home charger because the output is fixed by not the Nexus but the charging device.
    The amount of current is fixed by the CHARGED device - the phone in this case. The phone can't draw more current than it's designed to.

Therefore I don't have to worry as much about car charger to type c adapters or AC adapters... The main rush where I need to be cautious is with USB a to USB c.
    There's no risk there, unless the phone is trying to draw more current than the charger is capable (which is unlikely with modern chargers). (I use a USB A to USB C cable, and have never had any problems.)
    04-24-2016 04:23 PM