What's up everyone. I hope all of you aren't going to freak out on me, but I'm seriously wondering why no one addresses this.

Android is legitimately a massive RAM hog. On iOS (please don't freak out. I'm just making an observation and trying to figure out if there's anything I can do or if Google will ever address it), you can have upwards of 10 apps open at the same time and constantly switch between them without any refreshing of the app.

With Samsung's s6 edge plus's 3GB of RAM, it can literally barely keep two apps open, and I've have this same problem with every Android handset I've owned. I constantly switch between apps, and it's major pain, especially when I'm watching a video on Youtube and need to switch. It just starts over.

I know many of you will say Samsung has a bloated skin, but I've tried multiple other android devices, and it does the exact same thing. If lower end phones can easily handle the UI with 1GB, why can't a 3GB phone handle a ton of apps??

Thanks for any answers. I'm just legitimately frustrated with it and thinking of just going back to ios.
    04-29-2016 10:26 AM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4875682
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post3525940
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...m-android.html

I've never seen an iOS device that could handle multitasking with any fluidity, but if it's working for you then that's awesome - definitely use what works for you. TouchWiz won't impact Samsung's ability to host more than two apps at once, so blaming it on the "skin" would be a mistake. Something is wrong with that device and if you're seeing it on multiple other android devices, then I'd have to ask what the apps are - because every device I've used over the last 4 years has had no issue whatsoever managing RAM in anything I've been able to throw at it. That's going to include the Galaxy Nexus, Moto X 2013, Moto X 2014, Moto X 2015, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, ASUS ZenFone 2, Moto G 2015, LG G4, Pixel C, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 9, Nvidia Shield Tablet, Nvidia Shield (TV), Moto 360, etc, etc.
    04-29-2016 10:37 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Android does like having RAM full. This allows for reopening the apps to be smoother. Samsung on the other hand seems to make killing of the background processes more aggressive, making reopening apps seem a little more clumsy. I am honestly not sure how Apple organizes their OS to make app behave like that.
    04-29-2016 10:41 AM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4875682
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post3525940
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...m-android.html

I've never seen an iOS device that could handle multitasking with any fluidity, but if it's working for you then that's awesome - definitely use what works for you. TouchWiz won't impact Samsung's ability to host more than two apps at once, so blaming it on the "skin" would be a mistake. Something is wrong with that device and if you're seeing it on multiple other android devices, then I'd have to ask what the apps are - because every device I've used over the last 4 years has had no issue whatsoever managing RAM in anything I've been able to throw at it. That's going to include the Galaxy Nexus, Moto X 2013, Moto X 2014, Moto X 2015, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, ASUS ZenFone 2, Moto G 2015, LG G4, Pixel C, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 9, Nvidia Shield Tablet, Nvidia Shield (TV), Moto 360, etc, etc.
    I'm the asker. Decided to log in. I mean I don't have any problems with the app when I'm in it. I just mean keeping many apps open. I can have a hundred in the multitask drawer, but they aren't actually running and paused. They will have to refresh. For example, if you're watching a youtube video and go to facebook and then another app and possibly one more. Then when you go back, it will have to refresh Youtube as if you just opened it bacause it can't keep it up with the other tasks. That's the issue I have. iOS on the other hand can easily keep upwards of 10 or more apps up. Don't get me wrong. I'm really not trying to have a flame war at all. It's just able to do that, and I absolutely don't get why Android can't, especially something like a game.
    04-29-2016 10:44 AM
    Yeah... there must be something afoul here. I have a 6P and it'll stuff a bunch of apps in memory (well into double digits unless I load up a monster of an app) before it starts closing out idle apps to free up memory. I have a somewhat core list of apps I use all the time and the only time I see them load is a) after I've rebooted the phone and b) after they receive an update (which obviously reloads the app).
    04-29-2016 10:54 AM
    I'm the asker. Decided to log in. I mean I don't have any problems with the app when I'm in it. I just mean keeping many apps open. I can have a hundred in the multitask drawer, but they aren't actually running and paused. They will have to refresh. For example, if you're watching a youtube video and go to facebook and then another app and possibly one more. Then when you go back, it will have to refresh Youtube as if you just opened it bacause it can't keep it up with the other tasks. That's the issue I have. iOS on the other hand can easily keep upwards of 10 or more apps up. Don't get me wrong. I'm really not trying to have a flame war at all. It's just able to do that, and I absolutely don't get why Android can't, especially something like a game.
    I guess I am confused as to the issue. I can keep apps open plenty here on my S7 Edge just like I can on the iPad. The thing is if you leave an app not in the foreground for awhile the system (both Android and iOS) just cache its place but not the actual content. This happens all the time with my gf and facebook. If she jumps in and out she is okay .. leave it for 10 minutes? It is as if she just opened the app for the first time .. start blank, loads, and she is at the top.
    04-29-2016 10:56 AM
    That's the issue I have. iOS on the other hand can easily keep upwards of 10 or more apps up. Don't get me wrong. I'm really not trying to have a flame war at all. It's just able to do that, and I absolutely don't get why Android can't, especially something like a game.
    iOS is very good at hiding what it is doing in the background in certain instances. For example, the "full stop" that the UI does when the screen is touched to increase the perception of touch responsiveness. As a friend of mine pointed out, it caches the screen in its memory and shows you that until loading is complete (which is typically fast) rather than the actual loading that is displayed on screen in Android. It may be worth doing some troubleshooting on your galaxy to see if there is stuff running that you don't want to be, but it also could be worth just buying and using what you like. There's definitely nothing wrong with doing that.
    04-29-2016 10:58 AM

When I used the 6s Plus, it did indeed keep lots of apps in memory. However, it force closed down thethe ACTIVE app multiple times on multiple apps.
    04-29-2016 11:22 AM
    Android is a RAM hog for only one reason - it's designed to keep as much as possible in RAM at all times. It should show 100% used all the time, but sometimes you don't have enough space to keep an app in RAM without exceeding 100%, so something gets killed and leaves a little space. Android itself needs only a few percent of free RAM.

This isn't Windows or iOS, it's Android.

As far as keeping up, there's a limited amount of RAM in ANY phone.
    04-29-2016 04:24 PM