All old phone's info is on Kies, but I now have an S7 Edge. How to transfer information?

A

AC Question

So I just traded in my S5 for the new S7 edge. I backed up all my info on Kies first, as in the past that has always helped with updating the settings on my new phone without all the hassle. There was some trouble at the store transferring all my stuff over to the new phone. I got my contacts and pictures, but not memos, alarms, calendar, etc. I wasn't too worried about it because I had it all on kies and would be able to transfer the info at home. Well I get home and hook up the S7 to find that kies does not support it, now how to transfer files is "smart switch." But I can't use that because I traded in my old phone. All my information is on Kies, how do I get it out and put it on the new phone???
Please help!

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung needs to kill Kies with fire or at least put huge warning signs on their website. Not only is it obsolete but it is dangerous. I lost everything on a backup-factory reset-restore because Kies failed to restore ONE text message it refused to restore anything.

I'm sorry to say I think you're going to have to borrow a Samsung S5, restore back to it, then export with Samsung Smart Switch (The modern replacement for Kies) and then restore that to the S7.

laurendition

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm the original poster, and after a lot of googling, I found a solution. Smart switch will work, but you have to select the one for PC/Mac, it uses the data that Kies stored and it seems like most of my stuff is back. The only important thing I seem to be missing is the memos, but I'm still working on a way to make that happen. So relieved.

Also found some other things: Helium is apparently a good back up solution that is not subject to these changes, which I'll be using in the future. And there's also a software called Kies Extractor, but it costs like $40, but if nothing else works maybe it's worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs