Upgraded to Marshmallow on my N920I and Google Play/Google Apps just won't work.

Diraan

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Note: I posted this in the Galaxy Note 5 forum, but received no responses after a few days. Hope I have better luck here.

----------

So this morning I got a notification that my Note 5 (N920I) was finally ready for the Android 6.0 upgrade that Samsung promised months ago. Great. Finally I could get in on some of the upgrades.

I put my device on to charge and allowed it to complete the update process. Everything seemed to be going well after the upgrade until I was hit with a barrage of errors. Every single App failed to update through the Google Play Store without exception (error 495). Then, I got errors telling me that Chrome, Maps, Wallet, etc. would not run properly until I updated my Google Services. Fine. I went to update that and, just like every other app, it too failed to update.

I then went online for the next 4-5 hours and employed every single suggestion I could find, within reason. To summarize my attempts, I have done the following:

- Cleared the cache/data of Google Play Services, Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, Download Manager, the Google App.
- Removed then added my Google account to my device.
- Changing my DNS settings from DHCP to Static and adding 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 as per a known solution to a similar problem.
- Connected my phone to my computer to try and search for the smdl2tmp1.asec file as per a known solution.
- Switching WiFi networks from my home location to Starbucks, then Barnes & Noble, then Best Buy.
- Switching to Data/4g
- Updating the time/date in my device as per Google's known solution.
- Uninstalled Updates to the play store and Google Services (Now I am just stuck with an old app store.)
- Checked for further system updates.
- Ensured Download Manager was still enabled.

At this point I am at a complete loss. This is the first time in my life that I've run up against a problem so ridiculous, yet so persistent, and been unable to solve it. I really don't want to have to do a factory reset.

My device is a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920I International Version running android 6.0.1 and is not rooted, nor has the knox ever been tripped. Firmware build is MMB29K.N920IDVU2BPD3.

I'm grateful for anyone that can provide any insight/help with this.

Update:

Talked to Google Customer Support and ran through all of their troubleshooting solutions. Nothing worked. Finally she recommended a Factory Data Reset.

Just did that.

Now my phone can't connect to the internet during the basic activation process, let alone download anything.

This phone seriously wasn't ready for Android 6. As a longtime iPhone user, I jumped onto the upgrade bandwagon. After taking some time to look at the android upgrade process, it looks like these phones aren't meant to be upgraded. Won't be making this mistake again if I buy another Android.

Now it's time to see if I can rollback to Android 5.

Update 2: Still nothing is downloading even after doing a full factory reset. Now I have none of my old apps and seemingly no way to use them. Now I'm stuck with a stock Note 5. Awesome. Going back to Google Customer Support for an answer.

Diraan

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Update 3:

Well. The last Google Tech that I chatted with exhausted his support options, told me that he could not help me any further, then disconnected.

It took every ounce of willpower to resist the urge to hurl this phone through my office window.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc