I have the Moto G 3rd gen phone. I had some pictures on my it (about 70 I think) and I noticed that my phone storage was low. So I got an SD card and moved most of the pictures to the SD card (like 60 something). A few days ago, it said I only had 35 pictures on the SD card, and now today it says that I only have 11. I have tired to put them on Google Photos, but when I delete them from my phone they get deleted off of Google too. Where are they going? How do I get them back?
    05-16-2016 04:39 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-sd-card.html. If it finds bad sectors, and the photos aren't crucial to save, then go ahead and allow chkdsk to try repairing those sectors. If the photos are really precious, then you'll have to try recovering them using 3rd party software: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...ted-files.html

When you back up photos to Google Photos, the easiest way to remove locally saved photos is by going to the Google Photos menu and using the Free Up Device Storage option. If you manually delete a photo on the main Google Photos screen, that will remove it from both the cloud and your device. If you just want to delete it locally, you have to swipe in from the left, tap Device Folders, then Camera, and then delete the photo there.
    05-16-2016 04:53 PM
    Before you write anything to the card, run PhotoRec on it. It's a forensic recovery program (it won't make changes to the card) and will "recover" anything that's in the format of a picture file, even if it ends abruptly (the end of the picture got overwritten). If doesn't matter what the file system on the card is, the program looks for things that look like files, not partitions or file systems. (IOW, the card could be completely unreadable, but formatting a card isn't like formatting a hard drive - nothing gets erased but the list of files, which PhotoRec never looks at. You won't get back the file names, just the types - IOW things like 0001.jpg. But it works where every other recovery program [including Windows itself] says there's nothing to recover. It can also take more than overnight to run.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-16-2016 06:07 PM