How to fix "app not installed" issue?

A

AC Question

I am trying to use an apk to install an app but it is not working. I am able to install apps from the playstore and im able to install other apk's, like the amazon appstore apk, but i cant install this apk. I have installed this apk before and i put it on my sd card, but then for some reason it stopped working after i swiped away the notification thing that tells me about my sd card and how much space it has (the sd card wouldnt mount onto the phone anymore even when i reinserted it and restarted the phone, it also is unable to be formatted anymore). I downloaded the apk this time to my internal storage but whenever i try to install it it says "app not installed". What do i do?

My phone is an asus zenfone 2e btw

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What version of Android is the phone running? I know that ASUS updates its ZenFone 2 line pretty frequently, so it's possible that some recent system update has made that apk file incompatible.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's also possible that enough of the app is still installed (you don't "move" the app to the SD card, you move small pieces of it to the card) that the installer thinks it's still installed, and won't install it again. This is about the only time an "app cleaner" app is useful.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Then it's probably some little remnant that nothing will clean. A full backup, factory reset (maybe even ROM reflash) and a full restore would fix it, but it would take a while.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The OP mentioned being able to install the apk before, so I assumed it was on the same phone (and why I was speculating that it might have become incompatible after some system update). pkmudkipz, can you clarify this?