how do i allow access to the same excel file on my tablet and pc at the same time?

A

AC Question

i have android tablet and i want to open the same excel file on multiple pc's and android tablets at the same time. Between computers i would use the "Share workbook" option under the Review tab to allow access by multiple devices at the same time but when i have that turned on and try to open the file on my android tablet an error message comes up saying "this version of microsoft excel cant open workbooks with: workbook sharing."
Is what I want possible? If not what are my options?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's possible for multiple devices to read the file. It's only possible for multiple devices to write to the file if the file (and the app) supports record-locking - which spreadsheets can't.

Put the file on a cloud account, and multiple devices can download it from there, but only the first one can write to it - and the others have to download it again after it's been written to and re-saved to the cloud. (That's how files work - it has nothing to do with Excel or Android - even mainframes can't have a file open for writing in multiple devices without record or field locking.)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci