Galaxy S7 photos keep disappearing leaving weird icons

A

AC Question

A few of the photos I've taken come up as usual in Gallery but most are just grey squares with a white photo icon (mountains in a square) in the centre and an exclamation point in the bottom right corner of the mountain icon. Pressing on them does nothing. Doesn't seem to matter whether i use the phone or the sd card to store. Here's the weirdest part. Back in camera mode i can actually see the photo i took down in the preview screen at the bottom. But when i tap it the grey icon pops up. Help! Never had this issue on my S5.

Amanda Henderson

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
A few of the photos I've taken come up as usual in Gallery but most are just grey squares with a white photo icon (mountains in a square) in the centre and an exclamation point in the bottom right corner of the mountain icon. Pressing on them does nothing. Doesn't seem to matter whether i use the phone or the sd card to store. Here's the weirdest part. Back in camera mode i can actually see the photo i took down in the preview screen at the bottom. But when i tap it the grey icon pops up. Help! Never had this issue on my S5.

I know this is no help but i am getting the same thing. Its very annoying and would love to know how to fix it

suelew3162

Nov 2, 2018
Visit site
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I just got an S7 and the it's happening to me too!! Losing pictures is not funny! I get the grey square with the mountains just like you.
Is there a solution?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'll ask you the same thing I asked in 2016 -- are the photos saving to Internal Storage or an SD card? If it's the SD, this kind of thing can happen if the card is corrupt, defective, or counterfeit.