Cannot connect my Note 4 as a media device to PC anymore

A

AC Question

After excepting the Android Marshmellow 6.01 update, I cannot transfer files to my Windows 10 laptop or my Windows 7 desktop. I can charge the phone through the USB. I can also see the phone name in the PC "My Computer" list, but when I click on it, it says that there is no data in it. I can, however, see that there are files on my phone by using the "My Files" app on the phone.

I do not know what the procedure is to try to connect the phone as a media device. When I plug the USB in, between the phone and the PC, I do not get the list of choices to select from.

I do have the USB Debugging checked, in the Developer options, as suggested by my phone company, but this did not fix it. Do you think that I need to install a new driver on my PC? If so, which driver should I look for?

Thanks much.

bdorf

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
This will not be of help, but you'll find it interesting. I have the same problem, and earlier today I was going to tell you that Ubuntu's 14.04 OS responded the same way. Then something strange happened. I plugged the Note 4 back into Windows 10, and the files directories came up perfectly, both the phone's and the SD card's. I even copied files both directions in both directories, even created a folder in the Note 4. Worked great; HOWEVER, when I tried to retest the Note with Win10, the problem reappeared and persists. Surely the Android folk will sort this out ASAP. Help!

bdorf

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Think I got a fix. Get Microsoft's Phone Companion on PC and Note 4. On Note 4 set USB mode to File Transfer. You may find it initially in Charging mode. Your Note 4 folders should now show up in File Explorer. Hope this works for you. Luck!

UPDATE: Actually, all that is required is to set the Note 4's USB mode to File Transfer.

Last edited: