My Samsung Galaxy S5 Reboots on incoming calls after latest 6/6/16 update. Why/

A

AC Question

Since i updated to the latest software update 6/3/2016 my phone continues to reboot when i receive calls. I notice if i turn the bluetooth off the calls go through without reboot.
This is great except i do a lot of driving and use the bluetooth quite a bit. Is anyone else having this issue?

Skuggalegur

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try wiping the cache partition: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404

Hi after last android upgrade to 6.0.1
Issues : phone(samsung galaxy s5) is slower and if I get a call it restarts automaticly after approx 2-3sec........

phone seems to work in any other way, browsing, playing and making phonecalls its just if someone calls me 😣
Tried wiping the cache it did not help

Need help

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok after doing some research I have found that this MAY be an issue with a bad update, and that possibly a factory reset can fix it. Now this is extreme and time consuming, BUT may be what you need to do. Rest assure all your data should be safely in the google cloud providing you have been using your google account (which it's almost impossible not to). Your apps will all restore, but you might need to reconfigure a setting or do, AND its going to take a little time for your device to recover. That it it will be slow for a day or 2 as your apps download to it. PLEASE be near wifi while your apps are downloading to avoid data charges!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another possibility to consider is that the firmware became corrupted after (or during) the update, so you could try using Samsung Smart Switch to reinstall the firmware.

I agree with pkcable about most of your data syncing to your Google account, but it's important to check around and make sure all of your data is in fact backed up or synced somewhere. If you use a lot of Samsung apps (like S Memo), then data associated with them usually doesn't sync with Google. It might backup or sync to your Samsung account, but you have to make sure you have it set to do that. In addition, there might be certain apps that only save data locally, and that data will be lost with a factory reset if you don't manually back it up somewhere.

Reasons5

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue, but it wasn't happening on all calls. I discovered if I updated the contacts and removed the 'Favorite' starred status the calls come through just fine. Don't know if it will help anyone else but thought I would put it out there.

SKU2016

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Same issue, though curiously not when receiving calls, but when I use the *Timer* app. Instead of an audio signal when the timer elapses, I get an instant reboot. Reproducible every time.

I haven't tried clearing the cache yet, as I don't feel comfortable with hacks like that and would like to wait a little longer. Hopefully Samsung does something about this. I mean, it's crazy to think that a simple App as the Timer can tear down the entire operating system... it doesn't reflect well on Android 6.0.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried clearing the cache yet, as I don't feel comfortable with hacks like that and would like to wait a little longer.

Welcome to Android Central! Wiping the cache partition is very safe--it's only temporary data that is cleared out. The only thing you have to be sure of is not to select Wipe Data instead of Wipe Cache Partition, but even if you did, it would ask you if you're sure about wiping the data.

jenican

May 23, 2017
Visit site
I know the S5 is old now but cant afford to update it. My phone restarts almost everytime I make a call or receive a call. However if I'm in an app and open the call through the speaker phone it works. If i manage to get a call to work the speaker doesn't work and my phone has to be on loudspeaker. I've done a factory reset and a firmware reinstall through samsung smartswitch but still having the same issue. Anyone got another tip or should I just accept my phones dead