Why does my Verizon Samsung 5 still boot up as Verizon, but I have switched to T-Mobile?

A

AC Question

I have a Samsung 5 (SM-G900V) purchased through a Verizon service. The Verizon service became too expensive so I transferred the number to T-Mobile once my Verizon contract was up. I came make calls with the phone and send text messages and access the internet on the T-Mobile plan, however, the phone still boots up as being Verizon and there are features that no longer work on the phone ie I can't send pictures or download anything, the voicemails come in hours after they are received, the keypad doesn't work when I make calls and try to maneuver through an auto attendant -I press any key as directed by the auto attendant but the connection is not made. Now I am confused about what is going on with the phone. I have read a lot in my research and I don't know if the phone is acting this way because I moved from a CDMA provider to a GSM provider or if it means the phone is locked. I am on a no contract plan at T-Mobile and can change to another CDMA provider, I just don't know if that is what is going to fix this phone. It is like it is possessed by Verizon. Please help if you can. Thank you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. The Verizon labeled things are tied to Verizon's service. I'm sure they are set up in such a way that if they detect a non Verizon network, they stop running. I'm not sure of any way to fix the slow messages. That may be a poor handoff from Verizon to other carriers. The dial pad might be fixed if you pick a different one from Play.

Other options can include: Have you tried Verizon's prepaid service? Might get that stuff back, improve message receipt time, etc.

The bands may not be entirely correct for TMobile (thus why messages come in late), you could trade the Verizon device for a TMobile one. Meaning getting an inexpensive GSM phone and selling the S5. You could also trade it in and get a current device at Tmobile.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung 5 (SM-G900V) purchased through a Verizon service. The Verizon service became too expensive so I transferred the number to T-Mobile once my Verizon contract was up. I came make calls with the phone and send text messages and access the internet on the T-Mobile plan, however, the phone still boots up as being Verizon and there are features that no longer work on the phone ie I can't send pictures or download anything, the voicemails come in hours after they are received, the keypad doesn't work when I make calls and try to maneuver through an auto attendant -I press any key as directed by the auto attendant but the connection is not made. Now I am confused about what is going on with the phone. I have read a lot in my research and I don't know if the phone is acting this way because I moved from a CDMA provider to a GSM provider or if it means the phone is locked. I am on a no contract plan at T-Mobile and can change to another CDMA provider, I just don't know if that is what is going to fix this phone. It is like it is possessed by Verizon. Please help if you can. Thank you.

The phone will always boot up as Verizon because you got the phone from Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon