Browsers leave backgnd processes, can't delete, and eat battery

A

AC Question

I use three browsers, Firefox, Opera, and Yandex, and each can leave a background process that eats down the battery.

The browsers have been exited, and if necessary exited in the Task Mngr, but the browser background processes showing in settings/battery cannot be stopped. In settings/battery I can click the process then click Force Stop but it does not stop. Restarting the phone does not remove or stop these processes.

The browser apps have to be uninstalled to get rid of the background processes. As the problem can occur randomly (today, tomorrow, three days from now) I would be uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times a week.

I called T-Mobile; no help. I called Samsung; no help.

If this problem cannot be fixed such that I shouldn’t use these browsers on the S3 then it is just a dumb phone. I hesitate to upgrade to a new phone as this problem could still occur.

Please do not tell me to not use these browsers. There are features in each that I use. Three browsers from three difference vendors all cannot have the same bug. I think this is an Android service level bug.

Samsung Galaxy S3
SGH-T999
Android v4.3

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Be aware that Android prefers to keep RAM relatively full of open or cached apps, which allows it to open or switch apps more quickly and efficiently. If you force close apps, the system will just reopen apps to fill RAM again (and if you use the browser a lot, chances are the system will reopen the browser). Apps in the background are usually paused, and not actively using battery--can you tell for sure they're continuing to use battery while in the background?

AriusArmenian

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
These browser background processes are using battery to the extent that from morning to mid-afternoon the phone is down to ~15% which is not normal.
If I use and exit all three browsers there can be up to three browser related background processes with each using 10% to 20% of battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're right, that sounds pretty abnormal. Can you show us some battery stats? Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html